cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of new and copycat freelancers

Shirakawa T Member Since: Sep 24, 2015
1 of 8

I am seeing a lot of copycat freelancers this past few days. Their profile is almost the same.

copycat 1.jpg

copycat 2.jpg

Link to the job post: **edited for Community Guidelines**

Ramses C Member Since: Dec 2, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

Hi there Shirakawa,

Thanks for the tip!  I believe that you could flag as inappropiate or report if you see something suspicious.

Greetings,
Ramsés Cabello.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 8

Isn't it great? Luckily, it's fun seeing them come here and post about not being able to get a job. Although, you have to question someone's intelligence to post on an Upwork official forum about getting a job when they've stolen their profile text and portfolio. Freelancing Darwinism.

This widget could not be displayed.
4 of 8

@Jennifer M wrote:

Isn't it great? Luckily, it's fun seeing them come here and post about not being able to get a job. Although, you have to question someone's intelligence to post on an Upwork official forum about getting a job when they've stolen their profile text and portfolio. Freelancing Darwinism.

They want to be hired and draw attraction to their profile, therefore they lament in the forum. With better English this could work well.  

Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
5 of 8

Yeah, you can Google just about any profile of these scammers and see how many others are using the same overview, variations thereof and how ,any other websites they posted it. 

No original thought, lazy and no self-respect. Sad.

6 of 8

@cairenn R wrote:

Yeah, you can Google just about any profile of these scammers and see how many others are using the same overview, variations thereof and how ,any other websites they posted it. 

No original thought, lazy and no self-respect. Sad.

At least we could expect more sophisticated fraud instead of those stupid activities.

7 of 8

I ask myself if they can already steal some personal data such as the email address when we look at their profiles.

A few days ago a woman complained about something in the community. When I looked at her profile I saw that she offered two examples of work with a link. However, only available after having logged in. As I was curious I touched one of the two links and automatically a form opened that automatically filled in my email address. I hope I have managed to delete my email address from that form, I am not sure. After having mentioned this in the forum she immediately deleted the links.

Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
8 of 8

That is not good.

As a rule, I do not open links until I've actually spoken to the client and determined if they are legit. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS