cherrieb

Beware of scam employers who dont pay

I had couple of encounters with employers who scam the freelancers. Once you submitted the articles, it will take them couple of days to message you back and say "I am reviewing your articles" and then they never did pay you after that and never hear from them again. That means they took your articles for free...I learned it the hard way. So guys, make sure to check their payment method if its verified and always ask them when applying, as to why they havent setup payment method yet and if they say because theyre new, then let them know you wont work for them unless their payment method is verified...But even if its verified, there are still employers out there who will try to scam you and not pay for your hard work. I can say im not a genius in writing but I write pretty good articles and I put my heart to it, so guys beware. One particular employer who never paid me until now. It's over a week and never heard from her nor received any payment... Her name is **, her name shows as **. *Removed by admin
28 REPLIES 28
g_nembhard

Hi Cherrie ann, Yes, even if they have a verified payment method, they can still choose to not pay you if you're working on a fixed price project. If I were you, I would keep an eye out and see if they publish the articles. Because you haven't been paid for the work, well and truly you still own the articles. If you see them published you can report the client to that site. I would keep evidence of everything. If they choose to pay up, then the problem has been resolved. You should also report the clients to oDesk support so that they can keep any eye on them. Hope it all works out for you.

"It's over a week and never heard from her nor received any payment... Her name is **, her name shows as **" it's a bit over the top to start naming and shaming after only a week - especially as this is the middle of summer and peak holiday season. I think you may have burnt some bridges now, but I'd suggest you politely but increasingly assertively ask your client every few days - keep it professional at all times as showing anger and sounding threatening really doesn't help your case at all. If after another week or two there's still no reply then by all means take if further (and yes, do keep an eye out for it being published) Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth...
bfonbuena

I had an experience working with Speech Transcriptionist and a certain **edited for Community Guidelines** for a transcriptionist job and it's been three months and he hasn't paid me yet and redirects me to other person for me to collect.

Bong, nobody who takes more than three months to pay you on Upwork has any intention of ever paying you. You were scammed by a dishonest person. Time to move on and give up trying to collect. Feel free to report the scammer to Upwork.
prestonhunter

Cherrie apparently needs to be reminded of the fact that Upwork AUTOMATICALLY pays you the full agreed upon fixed rate amount 14 days after you submit the work.

Reporting a client or complaining about things so soon could potentially jeopardize that AUTOMATIC PAYMENT, if you cause the client to decide to change or rescind payment.

@Preston, at the time when Cherrie posted , it was not in place yet. It was brought I think mid-August or something like that.

re: "It was brought I think mid-August or something like that."

Interesting... I had no idea this was so new.

Definitely a GOOD feature that Upwork has. As a contractor, I've benefited from this 14-day-automatic-payment feature myself.

vallary

I need help on how to apply for a job on Upwork.any help would be upreciated.i am a business management graduate and would wish to deal with management articlea.i believe I have the skills to do such work.thanks

vallary o click this link - How to apply for Jobs

oh and your profile is set on private. 

nicz3191

Good morning... im a victim as well.. how do i report a bogus player to admin?? i already created an "incident report" with all the evidences.... i would like to report this empoyer so that the others wont be a victim of her as well....

Hi Nico,

You can report the client by flagging the job posting as inappropriate or by submitting additional details in a support ticket here.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I recently had a client where it was obvious he was trying to scam me. Several weeks after our initial talk he contacted me again to add me on Skype. He then sent me a Word-file to translate and told me 'he would pay later through PayPal' because 'he didnt have time to set up a contract on Upwork'. I took a small amount to time to provide him with a perfectly inaccurate translation. 🙂 

I can only hope he ends up using the text, because it'll seem like gibberish to any Dutch person. He has yet to pay me.

Hi Ramon,

Thanks for posting this example! If you haven't already, please report this client directly to Support with the screenshot of your communication, so we can address the client's behaviour.

Untitled
fatimahkhan92

I see the admin removed her name. They shouldnt have done that. People need to be aware.

lelpie

I could be being over cautious, but I have a bad feeling. I'm VERY new to upwork but I've had good luck so far and generally enjoy my experience so far.

I applied for a brief that wanted a few illustration samples, seems quite usual.

This listing has no budget but said entry level. As with other projects I assumed this meant that the pay was to be decided when the contract was accepted, and when the freelancer was hired and chosen. 

So I sent two samples off, as asked for in the brief.

I heard nothing back, I was told I'd be contacted in a week and wasn't. I eventually messaged asking politely if they had come to a descision as I hadn't been declined, and explained that there is no rush, and that I'm excited about their brief. A good few days later I get a message saying theyre making my work into a statue usuing the samples they sent and that they would be in contact at an un-defined date in the future. 

So they're usuing my work, I haven't been visibly "hired" and no mention or sign of pay.

I've asked politely if they plan on paying me for my work and said if so it sounds like a great opportunity and that I'm eager to see teh finished product.

Should I be worried? Is this a scam?

Hi Elisabeth,

Please, make sure you don't start working before you have an active contract under My Jobs tab and client's payment method is verified. If a client wants to see samples of your work, you can direct them to your portfolio. Asking for free work is against Upwork ToS.

~ Valeria
Upwork
lelpie

I could be being over cautious, but I have a bad feeling. I'm VERY new to upwork but I've had good luck so far and generally enjoy my experience so far.

I applied for a brief that wanted a few illustration samples, seems quite usual.

This listing has no budget but said entry level. As with other projects I assumed this meant that the pay was to be decided when the contract was accepted, and when the freelancer was hired and chosen. 

So I sent two samples off, as asked for in the brief.

I heard nothing back, I was told I'd be contacted in a week and wasn't. I eventually messaged asking politely if they had come to a descision as I hadn't been declined, and explained that there is no rush, and that I'm excited about their brief. A good few days later I get a message saying theyre making my work into a statue usuing the samples they sent and that they would be in contact at an un-defined date in the future. 

So they're usuing my work, I haven't been visibly "hired" and no mention or sign of pay.

I've asked politely if they plan on paying me for my work and said if so it sounds like a great opportunity and that I'm eager to see teh finished product.

Should I be worried? Is this a scam? or should I wait? I have sent a message to support but haven't heard back yet, although it hasn't been long at all.

I should add, their payment is verified and their profile looks good, plenty spent so far ect.

Never work unless a contract is in place. Would you work in the brick and mortar world for free on the hopes you'll get paid for your troubles? You worked for free and this is a hard lesson to learn but you won't make the same mistake again.  I'm not sure what you discussed with this client prior to you sending samples, but keep in mind getting paid off upwork is a no no and if upwork finds out you might be in some ka-ka. If the client ends up paying you that's great but next time tell clients you will submit paid samples. 

You worked for free and this is a hard lesson to learn but you won't make the same mistake again.  I'm not sure what you discussed with this client prior to you sending samples, but keep in mind getting paid off upwork is a no no and if upwork finds out you might be in some ka-ka. If the client ends up paying you that's great but next time tell clients you will submit paid samples. 

I feel like loads of briefs wants samples. 😞 Are they all scams if they ask for samples or sketches?

I haven't conducted a single piece of business outside of upwork. All messages are within upwork, I read that as I set up my account so luckily I'm not that stupid. 🙂

So is there nothing I can do about this? I'm definitely learning to be more wary, but surely in order to send samples there must be some kind of ruling in place? These weren't even to be the final work! 😞

I feel like loads of briefs wants samples. Smiley Sad Are they all scams if they ask for samples or sketches?

I haven't conducted a single piece of business outside of upwork. All messages are within upwork, I read that as I set up my account so luckily I'm not that stupid. Smiley Happy

So is there nothing I can do about this? I'm definitely learning to be more wary, but surely in order to send samples there must be some kind of ruling in place? These weren't even to be the final work!

PS. On the subject of whether or not I would work for free behind in bricks and mortar, I saw this as a trial shift! 

@Elisabeth B wrote:

I feel like loads of briefs wants samples. Smiley Sad Are they all scams if they ask for samples or sketches?

I haven't conducted a single piece of business outside of upwork. All messages are within upwork, I read that as I set up my account so luckily I'm not that stupid. Smiley Happy

So is there nothing I can do about this? I'm definitely learning to be more wary, but surely in order to send samples there must be some kind of ruling in place? These weren't even to be the final work!

PS. On the subject of whether or not I would work for free behind in bricks and mortar, I saw this as a trial shift! 

I'm not sure what kind of places in your location make people work for free in a trial shift, but I've never worked for any employer who didn't pay me for my time in a business setting. 

why don't you put samples of your work in your portfolio? Clients can judge your work there. 

Not everyone who wants a sample is a crook. But why do you think that working for free will put you in the running for a job?

Freelancers are not employees they are running their own business. If you keep doing 'trial shifts' you're not going to make much money. 

It's only my opinion and you don't have to listen to me. There will be other freelancers weighing in I'm sure.

lelpie

Thank you! I never even put two and two together, really silly of me. Ill have to watermark my work and just link my folio from now on. Its a real shame.

@Elisabeth B wrote:
Thank you! I never even put two and two together, really silly of me. Ill have to watermark my work and just link my folio from now on. Its a real shame.

It's a good lesson to learn. You'll never do that same thing again I bet! 😉 

lelpie

And kent UK is where ive done trial shifts 🙂 Just another perk of being young I think!

@Elisabeth B wrote:
And kent UK is where ive done trial shifts 🙂 Just another perk of being young I think!

haha! I don't think there are any perks to being young in this day and age! especially if employers can scam you into working free shifts! lol

I'm in Canada and we have a thing where we get hired and if the employer doesn't want to keep us he has so much time to can us and he doesn't need an explanation. 

When I was a kid I never worked for free - unless I broke a lot of dishes and then it came out of my pay. Then I learned I was a horrible waitress and went for bigger fish! 

Elisabeth: I appreciate your efforts to learn more about how to work effectively on Upwork.

If your work habits only affected you, most of us wouldn't really care whether you work for free or not.

But every contractor who works for free drags the platform down for the rest of us. Your actions affect me and they affect the other contractors here in the forum. So not only does working for free facilitate clients who are violating Upwork's ToS, it is also detrimental to your fellow contractors.

Because we don't want to deal with clients who ask us to work for free. And the only way to prevent that is to make sure all Upwork contractors refuse to work for free.

I'm actually aware of the issues that having freelancers work for free pose for the freelancing community, particularly within the creative fields, and it's entirely my own fault and naivety. As a young freelancer trying to get started, I myself have told people not to work for free for these reasons! I think I made a rather large assumption that I would eb paid or at least that my work wouldn't be used! I won't make that mistake again lol!

I've messaged the client, explaining that I'm now aware that it is against upworks guidelines to do any work for free, and that had I known the samples he requested were in dead teh final product I would not ahev agreed. And that in future I won't be providing any samples free of charge. I've asked him to set up a contract and payment of a reasonable amount, in order to once again comply with teh guidelines. I've also now spoken to a member of the upwork team and they explained all teh guidelines in a detailed and paitent way I could digest, in relation to this and a few other questions I had!

What a learning curve eh? 🙂