cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caution!?!

Highlighted
KNV N Member Since: May 6, 2008
1 of 8
I have noticed that there are quite a few well priced and well defined data entry job posts (mostly image conversion to text) and a response to your application is pronto!! However, the reply does not relate anything to what is mentioned in the job post. Most of these replies are for typing of 'captcha' transcribing. The offers generally are: do 1000 images a day, and do total 7000 images in the next 7 to 10 days and the project owner tells you that he will pay you anything from $12 to $50 per 1000 images. The fee is fairly good and the job does not appear to be too difficult. However, the catch is the 7000 successful texts, to be eligible to demand a pay out. There are too many applicants, and the project owner always respond to each application. The instruction always is to log into a website or download and install a software to start working. However, because of the large number of jobbers trying to work at the same time, the project owner server is always overworked and it is not able to stream out images to all the workers... naturally there is considerably delay in getting the images on the jobbers computer screen. It is humanly impossible for anyone to complete 1000 images a day, even if he is able to sit in front of the pc for 24 hours!! needless to say, one can never reach 7000 minimum target. The project owner always win.... the jobbers try to do the best and devote so much time on the job, but realizes, very very late, that he is trapped and unable to reach the target within the specified turnaround. He make more effort and time, but ultimately resigns before the target number (and within the turn-around specified by job owner!) - this is exactly what the job owner wants, he got a good number of transcribed texts for free, and he can lure more gullible freelancers to go through the grind again... the vicious cycle goes on, and the project owner is very happy that he can get his jobs done for free... I think these job owners sell these to major websites for a higher fee; so they are getting free cash. Is it fair on the part of project owners? Well, not, but the fact is this world is full of scamsters..... oDesk cannot do anything here because the first response from the project owner advises you to do everything outside oDesk and the jobber has no recourse to collect fee as the job owner has 'honestly' said in the beginning that he will pay on reaching the target within the turnaround time and he is within his 'right' to deny payment if the conditions are not met. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has been able to meet the target and got paid.....
Highlighted
2 of 8
Continuing on the above.... more evidence that these are scammers.... after couple of days of the job post, the job will disappear from oDesk as having been either deleted or archived. In the log in page of the project owner, you find no link to communicate with the project owner. So I think even if anyone is able to achieve the target, the scammer will not pay you as you are left with no avenue to know or contact the project owner... beware..... beware...
Highlighted
Marvel J Member Since: Jun 30, 2011
3 of 8
You have been here since 2008 and you get conned into these kind of jobs? Interesting. Thanks for the warning, but even a dumb newbie like me (compared to you) know that These jobs are illegal and you never get paid. Don't you know it's against the TOS to work outside of odesk? Oh well it's your business. Run it as you like.
Highlighted
4 of 8
Yes, here since 2008, but not too successful yet as it seems it is 'cheaper the better' here, rare exceptions notwithstanding. I didn't get conned to the full... the fruitlessness sank in early and I felt it right to put out a caution, that is all. Going out of oDesk need not always end up in scams, but agree, caution required.
Highlighted
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
5 of 8
[quote=Knv N.]Going out of oDesk need not always end up in scams, but agree, caution required.[/quote] Caution is required when going outside of oDesk? Caution? It is against the rules, for a reason. Not only can you have your account suspended (which kinda seems like what should happen here), you will also likely end up in a bad situation (you have had a taste of that). You are giving advice in an effort to keep other freelancers from running into trouble, but your advice ignores the fact that oDesk already has policies in play to protect freelancers from these things, if they just follow the rules. 1) Do not work outside of oDesk with clients that you meet on oDesk (clients who want to do this, at the very least, are already showing themselves a cheat as they are trying to scam oDesk out of their fee. Such a cheater is likely to scam in other ways, right?). 2) Capcha jobs are not allowed on oDesk. 3) Do not work without a contract. No contract, no work, no need "to sit in front of the pc for 24 hours" on a hopeless task. It is really that easy. Quit trying to give advice when all you are doing is ignoring all of oDesk's advice and policies. The best advice is to stick to the polices, don't you think? How often are you going off of oDesk, anyways? You seem to be rather casual talking about it, as if it is commonplace, and you haven't had a legitimate job on oDesk in 3 1/2 yrs. How many times have you taken the work off oDesk?
Highlighted
6 of 8
oDesk is an 'exchange' to facilitate freelancers meet project owners and, if a job is awarded, to ensure that the job is done well and paid for. However, those who are not fortunate to land jobs, and those who are in real need of job, may 'go out' and explore opportunities, as at the end of the day the freelancer is responsible for himself to earn his living.... but this is something for each freelancer to decide because of the inherent risk. My post was intended to be a caution for others (I am no one to give 'advices') and they are free to take it or ignore it... Regarding my inability to land a 'legitimate job' in 3 1/2 years.... well, I am employed with an online organization for over 3 12 years for working half the month and I am quite happy and satisfied with this job. However, I do spend some time in oDesk applying for jobs so that I can utilise my spare time, but I admit, I have not been successful in landing jobs. I will keep trying at my own pace and price, but will not brag or beg for a job. I know there are too many aspirants for too few jobs here and I will take my chance. I have no wish to engage in a protracted discussion and therefore will end my response here. Wish best wishes.
Highlighted
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
7 of 8
Can you point to where these things are made clear as facts and are not just how you want to think about oDesk? [quote=Knv N.]oDesk is an 'exchange' to facilitate freelancers meet project owners and, if a job is awarded, to ensure that the job is done well and paid for. However, those who are not fortunate to land jobs, and those who are in real need of job, may 'go out' and explore opportunities, as at the end of the day the freelancer is responsible for himself to earn his living.... but this is something for each freelancer to decide because of the inherent risk.[/quote] That is a very basic description of oDesk that removes any understanding of oDesk as a business entity with its own policies. If by 'go out' you mean find jobs elsewhere that have nothing to do with clients you meet on oDesk, well, absolutely. That is not what you mean though, and that is not the discussion. I suspect, in fact, that your tidy job that you have had for 3 years with an Australian company may have been initiated on oDesk. Is that true? We are not, after all, discussing jobs that are found outside of oDesk. You are clearly talking about an oDesk job post here: [quote=Knv N.]I have noticed that there are quite a few well priced and well defined data entry job posts (mostly image conversion to text) and a response to your application is pronto!! However, the reply does not relate anything to what is mentioned in the job post.[/quote]
Highlighted
Ayesha S Member Since: Nov 22, 2009
8 of 8
Hi Knv, Please read up on Disintermediation or getting paid outside oDesk if you find the client here. It can get you permanently banned.
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS