cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bid Range: what do the numbers mean?

Michelle B Member Since: Jun 17, 2016
1 of 14

What do the numbers mean next to "bid range"? Is that the dollar amounts the poster is willing to pay? 

Bid range - High $8.00 | Avg $4.92 | Low $3.33

So does that mean the job poster is willing to pay anywhere from $3.33 to $8.00 per hour? 

I know this is probably the dumbest question you have seen all day, but I am confused! Thanks!

Michelle Bollinger
Frisco, Texas
Jeremy C Member Since: May 24, 2016
2 of 14

Hi Michelle!  As I understand it, the bid range is what other freelancers have proposed.  Using your example, there are freelancers who have said they will do the job for as low as $3.33 and as high as $8, but the average proposal is $4.92.

Using this, you can guage what you should offer to do the job for.  Lets give the example that the poster proposed $5 for this job, there's a good chance you can just stick with $5 and be okay.  But lets say the poster said $8.  If you bid $8 at this point, there's a good chance he poster won't even look at your proposal.

Hope this helps!

Kyle D Member Since: Jul 12, 2016
3 of 14

I think what she meant is are these numbers an hourly rate ($5.00 per hour) or a fixed cost for the entire project ($5.00)?  That's what I'm wondering.  Very confusing.  Thank you in advance! Smiley Happy

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 14

Hi Kyle, 

You should be able to see whether a job is fixed-price or hourly. That should give you an idea if the bids ranges are per hour or fixed. 

Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 10.19.18 AM.png

-Avery
Untitled
jack s Member Since: Aug 15, 2016
5 of 14

Nice post

Ace Contributor
Katherine V Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
6 of 14

@Kyle

The numbers right below the job title indicates the budget of the client, and whether the job is fixed price or an hourly job.

For hourly jobs, you will only see Entry-level, Intermediate and Expert for the budget. Entry-level, as the name suggests mean the client are looking for the lowest possible rates, while Expert means their budget is higher. Intermediate is somewhere in between.

Job Details

The range at the bottom of the job posting (the "Activity on this Job" section) are information about the people who applied for a job posting.

I hope that helps.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 14

@Jeremy C wrote:

Hi Michelle!  As I understand it, the bid range is what other freelancers have proposed.  Using your example, there are freelancers who have said they will do the job for as low as $3.33 and as high as $8, but the average proposal is $4.92.

True.

Using this, you can guage what you should offer to do the job for.

False. Your bid should be based on the worth of your services.

Lets give the example that the poster proposed $5 for this job, there's a good chance you can just stick with $5 and be okay.  But lets say the poster said $8.

At which point I say: Why am I wasting my time? How did this job get into my feed?

If you bid $8 at this point, there's a good chance he poster won't even look at your proposal...

...true, following the logic that the poster doesn't know the worth of the services they're seeking, can't be trusted to stick to their offers, and is choosing solely based on price and not on qualifications. Good luck trying to work in that market!

Best to all,

Michael

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 14

Remember: Clients OFTEN do not actually care about price.

They care about value.

If a client says that she wishes to pay around $20.00/hour, and I charge $86/hour, that doesn't mean I can't bid.

If I understand her project and explain what I'll do for her and about how long it will take, the client will probably hire me rather than pay somebody $20/hour, because she recognizes she is getting greater value from my work. She also may end up paying a lot less for the project, because I know how to do it right the first time, and I won't waste her time and money.

This is true for MANY clients. The wiser clients. Other clients are focused on price, and presenting them with a superior value prospect will not sway them.

Norayr T Member Since: Nov 26, 2019
9 of 14

Screenshot_1.png

Upwork bot knows the answer as wellSmiley Wink

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 14

Why would those ranges determine your rate? That makes no sense. There is always some schmoe bidding $3/hour. What are you going to do? Always charge $3/hour to match?

No way man. I break the bank and bid higher than errrrybody cuz me > *competitors.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS