Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bid range is not showing properly for small numbers of bids

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
1 of 7

I consider being able to see the bid range an important perq of the paid membership here. But it does not always seem to be working correctly.

This morning there was a job I was considering bidding on. It showed under 5 proposals and no bid range. I waited for an hour, two hours, three hours, and again nothing showed. I assumed from this (incorrectly) that no bids had been placed, and put in a proposal, since the lack of other proposals would increase my chance of success.

After that was done, the job updated, and suddenly there was a bid range showing. From the average I can tell that at least 2 other people already bid before me.

Is this a bug, or is there some reason why it is not showing the bid range when there are 1 or 2 (or some other small number) of bids? This is arguably when it is most important.

Thank you,

Charles

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 7

Hi Charles,

If there was 1 proposal on the job, it would show "under 5 proposals" but no bid range as 1 proposal isn't enough to calculate the range. I believe that's what happened in the case you are describing.

~ Valeria
Upwork
charles_kozierok
Community Guru
3 of 7

Even if there's one bid, I would expect it to show that bid as the low, high and average.

That said, I could tell from the average and the budget of the project that there were 2 other proposals. Both were likely at the exact budget of the project, and maybe that's why no range was shown, but again, I'd expect it to still show that there were bids made at the client's budget as opposed to showing nothing.

Thanks.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
4 of 7

Charles,

If the amount for that single bid is displayed as lowest, average and highest, it would make the information about that particular bid public. For privacy reasons we can't do that.

~ Valeria
Upwork
yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 7

@Valeria K wrote:

Charles,

If the amount for that single bid is displayed as lowest, average and highest, it would make the information about that particular bid public. For privacy reasons we can't do that.

Valeria, I don't want to become a nuisance, but what if 2 or more freelancers all bid the same amount, for example the budget posted by the client? Then lowest, average, and highest would all be the same, and in effect all the bids are public, so regardless of the number of bids, the range won't be displayed if all bids are equal?

6 of 7

Valeria, I am not sure what the privacy concern is since other freelancers can't see who bid what, just a number.

But leaving that aside...

The range was hidden when there were 2 other bidders, not just 1. It's easy to tell that this is the case by looking at the numbers.

To give an example (these are not the same figures as in my actual job), suppose you bid $10 on a job and then saw these numbers:

Maximum: $60, Minimum $10, Average $43.33.

This tells you immediately that there could not have been only one other bid. If there were only one, the average would be $35.

That is what happened in my case. There were at least 2 other bidders.

Thank you.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
7 of 7

Hi Charles and John.

Sorry about the delayed response. I confirmed with the team that the ranges won't display if there is less than three bids on the job. If all the bids are the same, it will be evident from the ranges.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS