Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bidding on Fixed Price Jobs

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jaime L Member Since: May 11, 2015
1 of 22

Most of the jobs I apply to are hourly jobs, but there are a few fixed price jobs I may be interested in. When I apply, I usually max out their budget in my proposal (For example, if their budget is $50, I bid $50). Is this a bad thing? I figure this is what they WANT to pay, and usually they are fairly accurate as to what the project is worth. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
2 of 22

Bid what you think's fair. If your hourly rate is $10, a client posts a job for $20, but you believe it'll take 4 hours, then bid $40 and explain why you did it.

I often exceed my client's budget in my bids, sometimes they decline my app due to it, but a lot are willing to pay if you explain what the cost covers.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 22
Not a bad thing. That is what I usually do. Match my bid to their budget. Unless their budget is totally off. But usually there are not enough details for knowing a better amount.

Use the interview process to come to a final ageement about what will be done and how much for,
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
4 of 22

Greetings Jaime,

On Upwork, not just the fixed price jobs but also the hourly contracts boil down to one crucial thing...'Self assessment'.

If I were to apply to job, I ask myself...what are the skills that I bring to the table, how good am I at those skills and how much time will I have to devote this project/ job each day? After considering this, I calculate my hourly charges/ place a bid.

Also, an important thing to remember here is that the fees/ bid should be such that you shouldn't feel cheated or as if the client is exploiting you. Cause if you do, then you won't be able to do justice to the job.

Now, coming back to your original question: Is it a good thing to place the maximum bid? If you are confident of your skills and are going to spend sufficient time to render a great product; go for it!! Its then upto the client if he wants to go for the Top quality or settle for the second/ third or the 'nth' best.

All the very Best for your job application. Keep up the 'Upwork' Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 22

I want to emphasize something Preston wrote: "Match my bid to their budget. Unless their budget is totally off."

When I see a budget that I think is far in excess of the amount of work required, I will bid what I think is a reasonable amount, and explain in my bid why it's much lower than what the client specified. If I were a client, I would appreciate such gestures.

Another reason you *might* want to be slightly less than the budget is if you're starting out at Upwork and having some difficulty getting hired. All things being equal, I expect most clients would rather hire someone bidding below budget, but some clients might interpret it as a sign of a lack of confidence.

Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
6 of 22

[edited] I see Lyam has already told us reasonable overbidding can succeed here. This has worked for me, too, on Elance. (I have no bidding experience here—just one brief conversation with a prospect that foundered over schedule rather than price.)

I'd be interested to hear whether anyone else here has scored contracts with bids over budget.

Best to all,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
7 of 22

I never compete on price. If the budget is too low, I don't bother. If a client can see value, they will be wlling to pay more. If they can't afford it... move on to the next one. Working for the least amount you can in order to land a job is a prescription to struggle in your career. If it become a regular problem, then you're fishing in the wrong market.

As a general rule, I always bid the max on fixed + Upwork fees. So in essence, I suppose I always bid 10% more than their budget.

Highlighted
Tahsin H Member Since: May 8, 2015
8 of 22

I have been regular on odesk/upwork since last February. Once I built my profile a bit, I got a very lucrative job and got a really good review on it. Ever since then, I started targeting a very specific niche and regularly bid over the max budget given ( I generally prefer fixed price jobs over hourly). So far it has worked fine since it is a very specific niche and I now have quite strong skill set in it. i have been hired for enough jobs to keep me busy. In fact on one job, I bid over budget, was selected and once the job was finished even received a bonus. 

So I agree, it all boils down to what you have to offer. Clients often reconsider their budget if you can give them a good reason.

Highlighted
Mohammed Ismail H Member Since: Mar 17, 2016
9 of 22

what i will bid if the budget is 200-250???? pls reply.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 22

@Mohammed Ismail H wrote:

what i will bid if the budget is 200-250???? pls reply.

English Spelling Test (U.S. Version)5.001st Place!

Lol :-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS