cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill client for miscellaneous expenses

Karen K Member Since: Apr 27, 2016
1 of 8

How do I submit an invoice to my client for miscellaneous expenses such as supplies and postage?

Thank you in advance

Karen

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 8

Your client can issue you a bonus for any expenses you may have. Keep in mind though that the fee still applies to bonuses. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 8

Technically, Upwork does not have a "bill client" function or button.

You can create an invoice with any software of your choosing and send it to the client. Or just write a note and send it via the Upwork messenger tool.

All such "billing" is on the honor system. Paying such bills is at the client's discretion.

Clients may pay freelancers using a "reimburse expenses" tool available on the client-side interface. Same fee rates as always apply.

Katrina L Member Since: Oct 23, 2017
4 of 8

Why would there be a reimburse expenses tool on the client side, but not on the freelancer side? This would be helpful for as a freelancer, to be assured that my expenses for a job will be documented if any dispute arises.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 8

@Katrina L wrote:

Why would there be a reimburse expenses tool on the client side, but not on the freelancer side? This would be helpful for as a freelancer, to be assured that my expenses for a job will be documented if any dispute arises.

Upwork doesn't guarantee your expenses. A bonus payment for your expenses (which is the only "tool" a client has to pay you) is not guaranteed by Upwork Payment Protection, as Vlad stated. If any dispute arises, you lose.

Katrina L Member Since: Oct 23, 2017
6 of 8

Understood. I was just stating that there is no tool for that, and suggesting one.  Since Upwork makes their money from the freelancers as well as the clients, I would think this could improve the site. As it stands, I will be very hesistant to accept any jobs where I have to pay out-of-pocket expenses.

Stephen A Member Since: Jan 10, 2019
7 of 8

I think what would help for this situation is a tool where the freelancers could issue an expense bill to the client. Then, the client could more easily pay (single button click), and the freelancer has more opportunity to thoroughly document what the expense was for (postage, development hardware, ....).

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 8

Hi Karen,

You can ask your client to issue a bonus payment to cover these items, but note that bonus payments are not covered by Upwork Payment Protection.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS