🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Billing Error - More than one client on a...
Page options
michael_butcher
Community Member

Billing Error - More than one client on a single contract

Hello,

I did some work for a client two months ago and successfully completed the project. A colleague of the client contacted me a few weeks later and we formed a new contract. I've just finished the work (contract hasn't been closed yet), and the new client said he hasn't been billed, while the original client said that she got billed for the new work.

When I go into "My Jobs" it shows the new contract and "hired by [new client]," however when I go into the Upwork software to log in hours, the contract has the names of both clients. So the old client has been billed for work done for the new client.

How do I resolve this?

Best,

Michael

4 REPLIES 4
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Michael B wrote:

Hello,

I did some work for a client two months ago and successfully completed the project. A colleague of the client contacted me a few weeks later and we formed a new contract. I've just finished the work (contract hasn't been closed yet), and the new client said he hasn't been billed, while the original client said that she got billed for the new work.

When I go into "My Jobs" it shows the new contract and "hired by [new client]," however when I go into the Upwork software to log in hours, the contract has the names of both clients. So the old client has been billed for work done for the new client.

How do I resolve this?

Best,

Michael

What do you mean? You can't have 2 different clients on one contract, that is an impossibility. Do you mean the people on the client's account changed, meaning the employees working on it? That can happen of course, but when nobody changes anything else, the billing method will remain the same. Nothing you can do about that, they need to sort that out between themselves. If I understood you correctly. 

Attached is a photo of the software log with both names on the job. I'm not sure If I should block out the names. Please let me know if I should take this down.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

If your clients are sharing an account, then that single account is going to be billed for any work you do. If they want separate bills they need separate accounts. 

Hi Michael,

It is possible for clients to add their team members to their account and give them permission to manage various aspects of the account. If a team member has hiring permissions, they'll be able to interview, hire and communicate with freelancers but unless they have admin->financial permissions, they won't be able to see, billings, financial transactions and have access to financial accounts. For more info on how it works on the client's end, check out this help article.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths