🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Billing estimated hours
Page options
jm128971
Community Member

Billing estimated hours

I need help.  I am new to UpWork and I think I may have really messed things up.  I accepted a job for two articles, charging by the hour.  I wrote them and submitted them.  I know nothing about billing by the hour and I asked the client how to do this and I have heard nothing.  OK, he's just a client and doesn't know any more than I do.  I have tried to use the estimated hours' form but I can't figure out how to get it to him.  HELP!

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Janet K. M wrote:

I know nothing about billing by the hour and I asked the client how to do this and I have heard nothing.  OK, he's just a client and doesn't know any more than I do.  I have tried to use the estimated hours' form but I can't figure out how to get it to him.  HELP!

What "estimated hours thing"? 

Do you have a regular hourly contract or a direct contract?

Does the contract allow for manual time? Do you actually have a proper contract in place?

If manual time is allowed, here is how to add it.

Do bear in mind that manual time does not qualify for Hourly Payment Protection.

tlbp
Community Member

You can only add hours manually during the week in which they were performed. So at some point on Sunday, you transition into a new week and last week is locked. 

To get the money for the work completed, you'll need to ask the client to issue a bonus (assuming you had a contract). If you didn't create the contract correctly, you'll need to ask the client to do that first. 

Head up to the Resource Corner and read the "how to get started materials" to figure out what you need to do to create contracts and get paid. Many clients will expect you to walk them through the system. Other clients know exactly what they are doing and will take advantage if you aren't careful. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members