cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billing method to upgrade membership plan

Community Leader
Mahmudur R Member Since: Jan 14, 2014
1 of 4

I remember, I used my upwork fund that I had earned to upgrade my membership at the beginning when upwork was merged with odesk. Then God knows why my membership turned back to the BASIC again. After a couple of years, now when I am trying to upgrade it to a Plus plan for more Connects it asks to add billing method based on paypal, payoneer etc. Unfortunately I don't have a paypal. I got a payoneer account but I feel bother to use this. My question to the experts, has there any way to use my upwork balance/fund to pay for upgrading my membership to a plus plan please? as I did at the beginning??

If not then can Upwork provide an option for the freelancers to use their earning in various ways like to buy connects, to use that money directly to make a client account etc? Just an idea Smiley Happy 

Kind regards!

Mahmud
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 4

Hi Mahmudur,

Please know that you can use your balance to pay for the membership upgrade but only after adding a billing method (credit card or PayPal).

Financial account were separated a few years ago and Upwork won't be able to allow users to use their freelancer balance for making payments as a client.

Edralin D Member Since: Sep 20, 2017
3 of 4

I already have an existing paypal account added to my Upwork. It is where I get my payments from Upwork. Now I wanted to upgrade my membership and it is asking me again to add billing method. I already have billing method added on my Upwork (Local Bank, paypal and payoneer) but when I choose paypal and login to paypal - it is again asking me to add debit/credit card to paypal. I already have a bank account linked to paypal. 

Community Guru
Riri A Member Since: Jul 21, 2018
4 of 4

Hi Edralin,

You may need to add an alternative payment method to your PayPal wallet in order to add your PayPal account as a payment method on Upwork. Check this help article for more information about available Billing Methods. Alternatively, you can add a credit card as a billing method to be able to upgrade your membership plan.

~ Riri
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS