Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Blackmail?

jonnaelvinia
Jonna E Member Since: Aug 14, 2017
1 of 36

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to ask again. This client sent me a message : 

"Your work has now been reviewed and I will shortly paying you the $25 owed to you from the previous contract that you cancelled this morning.
However, before doing so, I wish for you to amend your feedback of me and once done, please send me a screen shot so I can see you changed it.
Once done, I will make payment for you."

I am not pretty sure if this is considered as a blackmail. I just need help. Now I am having thoughts of changing the clients feedback because of this.  I gave the client a rating of 4 stars because of the slow phase of the job and because of the payment concern.

I actually cancelled the contract because it isn't working for me and I feel so underpaid. The client's job posting was actually on hourly rate but we when talked it would be on a escrow. But he assured me that tasks would keep coming in. But the phasing of this job was just to slow. And it's like I've worked for days just to earn that $25 and its not even enough to sustain my kids daily needs.

I am just afraid that if If I was able to change the clients feedback just for the sake to get the $25.00 the client might get back at me and give me a low rating that would affect my score as a freelancer. This freelancing job is my only way now to earn a living for my kids and I am afraid what could happen if I change his feedback and he might get back at me.

Just need help here. Thank you everyone.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 36

It is absolutely feedback manipulation and you should report it. 

Since you closed the contract that tells me that the $25 wasn't funded so you are out of luck to get that anyway at this point.  Do not change the feedback. You need to be honest and professional in your feedback so other freelancers can use it to make their decisions. 

Take a screenshot of the communications you are having with your client about this and report it. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
jonnaelvinia
3 of 36

Hi,

Thank you for that. I just feel scared. I don't know where I should report this or should I really report this. I don't know where to start.

jonnaelvinia
4 of 36

Hi everyone! I just wanted to ask if there is any way we can amend or change the rating or feedback we give to our clients? I accidentally gave my client an incorrect rating.

nkocendova
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
5 of 36

*Edited for clarity

Hi Jonna,

Generally, a freelancer can contact the client and request that they allow to change your feedback. They can follow the instructions outlined here about Enabling Freelancers to Change Feedback.

~Nina
jonnaelvinia
6 of 36

Hi,

thank you for that information. I just need that answer.

ruth_bowles
Community Guru
Ruth B Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
7 of 36

Is this the same one that you said was trying to blackmail you in another post?

jonnaelvinia
8 of 36

Yes. I was trying to change the feedback not until I got the message and now I am thinking twice if I should still change it.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 36

Nina, why on earth would an Upwork representative give OP instructions on how to cooperate with obvious feedback manipulation, not even mentioning that the client's demand is a violation of TOS?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 36

@Tiffany S wrote:

Nina, why on earth would an Upwork representative give OP instructions on how to cooperate with obvious feedback manipulation, not even mentioning that the client's demand is a violation of TOS?

And the client's account should be suspended.

@Jonna do not change your feedback, for $25.OO it is not worth it. Upwork should make sure that your JSS is not affected by his unscrupulous, unacceptable, and unprofessional behaviour.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS