cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackmail?

rosannawebb
Rosanna W Member Since: Mar 6, 2015
21 of 36

I have quiet similar experience from a previous client. He gave me a bonus even though I didn't asked for it. I thought he is only pleased with my work. But he only did it for me to change my feedback about him. He want me to give him a 5 star rating with a positive feedback. He is like paying me through a "bonus" to give him a positive review and a perfect rating.I didn't do what he asked. I prefer a real feedback about a client so it can give other freelancers a warning. The client is toxic and is very strict. He wants a fast turn around. I am not a robot and I cannot tolerate working with him anymore. I am so stressed in hitting the deadline he gave. I neverr thought that the deadline is just very short since it was not mentioned in his job posts. I feel trapped in working on the project as I have already accepted the job before the instructions were given. 

In your situation, the client will pay you no matter what whether you give a negative feedback or no feedback at all. But if the task is a fixed project, the client can juts pay you in his own terms if he liked your work or not. This is the downside of fixed projects unlike on hourly projects, clients are forced to pay you whether they like your service or not. That's why I prefer to work on hourly jobs only. It is more secure than fixed projects. 

jonnaelvinia
Jonna E Member Since: Aug 14, 2017
22 of 36

Hi,

I actually cancelled the contract on my end. Due to the real was because of the payment concern, slow phase of the job and I am underpaid. I was really thinking of changing the feedback not until I got his last message.

nkocendova
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
23 of 36

Hi Jonna,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I assure you our team will review the contract and client and will take appropriate action based on any findings of violations of our Terms of Service.

~Nina
jonnaelvinia
24 of 36

Hi Nina,

Thank you for all the help. I just felt that I was working for days and not getting anything that is why I decided to cancel the contract. I am just afraid with this client that he might get back at me. 

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
25 of 36

He can't do anything. Just DON'T push the "enable the client to change feedback" button on the contract. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
jonnaelvinia
26 of 36

Hi Everyone,

It's me again and this client has been asking me why I am still not changing my feedback for him?...I just need help...I don't  know what to answer...should I tell him that I was advised by Upwork that I shouldn't be changing my feedback because it is a feedback manipulation?

iamchunchunchun
Community Guru
Hiu Chun L Member Since: Jul 27, 2017
27 of 36

Maybe tell him politely that $25 is not enough to prevent you from telling the truth?

jonnaelvinia
28 of 36

Hi,

Okay. But what if he won't stop bugging me? What do I do? Smiley Sad

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
29 of 36

Jonna, you are a grown-up professional running your own business. You handle it.

Tell the client that you aren't going to change the feedback, or ignore him, or block him. It's your choice.

If he keeps bugging you, ignore him, or block him, or report him, or some combination of the above. Or, just calmly and politely tell him that nothing he says is going to make you change the feedback and you don't want to hear from him again.

Don't position yourself as a victim here. Yes, your client is behaving unreasonably and it sucks that you have to deal with it...but, that's part of running a business. It's going to happen sometimes. Take charge of the situation. If you're intimidated by clients, it will cause you problems for as long as you're freelancing.

jonnaelvinia
30 of 36

Hi,

I think yeah I'll just block him. Probably that's the best thing to do.  Thank you for all your advise. I am sorry if I was like a kid acting like I really don't know what to do. I just wanted to be careful in doing things so it won't be taken against me. Also one more thing, how do I block this client? I can't see the option of blocking him.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS