Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blanketed Resolutions

taustinray
Community Guru
Tom R Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
1 of 5

Can Upwork CS stop replying to issues with the blanketed statement "Clear you cache and your cookies" because the average browser setup with the average user will delete all their cache and cookies along with data such as history and others depending on the browser and the user.

Having the user just delete all their cookies/cache to solve an Upwork issue is not the right way to do things. First, you're using a shotgun solution. Second, the user will realize later on other sites that information they have saved for that site is now also gone.

You could even add this to the Help & Support section that seems to lack a lot of support topics and solutions. Same ones that seem to get answered a lot in here. I would also suggest these all important topics about how to handle Scammers and other really important things about Upwork actually get put into the Help & Support section.

Well maintained and documented support sections cut down on a lot of resources and bandwidth being used for support. Also, not offering solutions that require additional solutions for the original solution.

robsongrant
Ace Contributor
Robson G Member Since: Feb 20, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

Clearing/deleting your temporary internet files (browsing data) can quite often fix many browser/surfing related issues due to anomalous caching conflicts. I believe that is why Upwork Customer Service Representatives use this solution as a starting point. May I suggest that, in future, you can select and customize the data that will be deleted by unchecking the boxes (Google Chrome) beside the items you wish to retain such as browser and download history, cached images and files, autofil data, hosted app data and content licenses for example. Just start by deleting your "Cookies and other site and plugin data" and see if that helps.

In regard to your second question/comment about how to handle Scammers. Doing a keyword search here in the commuity forum will reveal a lot of great information such as the following thread titled "Job warning signs" which I found by doing a search for "scammer" which in my opinion, is a must read for all Freelancers. 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Job-warning-signs/td-p/21467

Another example, doing a search for "freelancer tutorial videos" returns this very helpful thread:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Freelancer-Tutorial-Videos/m-p/59291/highlight/true#M6...

Bottom line, don't be afraid to do some keyword searches within the Upwork community forum.

In conclusion, the Community Discussion is already part of the Upwork Help and Support system. If you do any search in the Upwork Help Center, you will always see a link in the right hand sidebar titled" "See community discussions and help" where you can discover a wealth of information. 

I hope that helps!

"Expect the best today and always." - Robson Grant

View solution in original post

taustinray
Community Guru
Tom R Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
3 of 5

Sigh. First, I wasn't looking for a "resolution". Second, I know how cookies and cache work. I know the steps need to resolve issues like this. I've been in the web hosting provider industry for 20 years. I give support like this to my clients *regularly*. I've provided service and support to clients just like Upwork in the past. Not freelancer sites but actual job sites like Monster, etc.

My post was thoughts and opinions based on 20 years experience providing the _exact_ type of support that Upwork CS is providing to us. The use of blanketed resolutions to address problems is bad. Do they solve this issues? Generally, yes but what issue did they acutally resolve? These types of solutions are meant to hit a bunch of issues without really having to know exactly which issue it really is.

This is like when the cable company tells you to reboot your modem for EVERY issue. Does it solve the issue? Sure, at the time but if it's a recurring issue then rebooting every time isn't the solution. The solution is to find out *why it's happening* then execute a solution for the issue.

There are better and more efficient ways to provide the type of support needed here. Not only that, it's actually more beneifical to Upwork not to use blanketed resolutions and try to resolve the actual issue. It would give their support and engineering teams a intuitive look in how to manage their support and network issue better.

I have this thing where I like to solve the problem once and not have to deal with the same thing over and over again. I know, I'm picky like that.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 5

@Tom R wrote:

This is like when the cable company tells you to reboot your modem for EVERY issue. Does it solve the issue? Sure, at the time but if it's a recurring issue then rebooting every time isn't the solution. The solution is to find out *why it's happening* then execute a solution for the issue.

So, you're saying that instead of providing the user with a solution that works in the moment and allows him to get back to work, CS should say, "We're looking for a long term solution to that issue. Why don't you take a few weeks off and we'll get back to you when we've fixed the underlying problem."?

robsongrant
Ace Contributor
Robson G Member Since: Feb 20, 2016
5 of 5

Tom, it was not my intention to insult your intelligence or bruise your ego. I was only trying to help. Smiley Wink In regard to the issues you've had with "Blanketed Resolutions"; I've had the opposite experience with Upwork's Support Reps. They have always provided fast and friendly support to my ultimate satisfaction. For those issues that could not be resolved by their tier 1, I simply took the time to create screen shots and/or provided more details in regard to the issue(s) and I then requested to have my support ticket escalated. I take this approach with all customer/client support portals and this approach has worked well. Since you were not looking for a resolution here in the Freelancer Community Discussion, may I suggest that you select "Not Satisfied" on the Upwork support ticket survey you will always receive via email and share your concerns in the input field provided. I am confident, the Upwork Supervisors review that feedback. That may be a more effective way to get your comments and concerns heard and hopefully produce positive changes if needed. I hope that helps! Smiley Happy

"Expect the best today and always." - Robson Grant
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS