🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Blocking client
Page options
nahidhasan771
Community Member

Blocking client

Dear Upwork support‚

An old client I worked with him. He paid me and gave me feedback, but he treated me badly. So I am no longer want to work with him. If I block him, Will affect his given feedback, my profile and JSS?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
759e32fa

Hi Nahid,

Thank you for reaching out. Keep in mind that even when you do this, the client can still leave feedback on the contract. We recommend communicating with your client before ending a contract.

~ AJ
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
khalidaehaab
Community Member

Dear Nahid Hasan,

It is understandable that you do not wish to work with a client who treated you badly. However, instead of blocking the client, it is best to handle the situation professionally. If the client continues to send you unwanted or unethical messages, you can then consider blocking them. Keep in mind that blocking a client may affect your professional reputation, so it's best to weigh your options carefully before making a decision. If you have any further concerns, you may want to reach out to Upwork support for additional guidance.

Cheers,

Mohammad Khalid Ibrahimi

Thanks Mohammad.

759e32fa

Hi Nahid,

Thank you for reaching out. Keep in mind that even when you do this, the client can still leave feedback on the contract. We recommend communicating with your client before ending a contract.

~ AJ
Upwork
ericaandrews
Community Member

No.  It will not affect feedback he's already given or your JSS.  You have the absolute right to block anybody you do not wish to communicate with, especially if the contract has already ended. No, it is not going to 'affect your professional reputation' on this site, because if the contract is already over and feedback has already been left, there's nothing else the client can really do but send messages and wonder why you have stopped responding, which happens ALL the time on Upwork. 

Clients and freelancers 'disappear' and quit responding ALL the time, and for various reasons: People move, get sick, die, get busy, ghost,  or just shutdown their accounts and leave.  Nothing new about that. The client has no way of doing some type of 'mass notification' to all the other Upwork clients announcing you blocked or ignored them, so the idea that it would 'impact' your 'professional reputation' is far fetched.  Your name will just 'disappear' out of his chat box and he won't be able to message you anymore and will have no idea why.  If the client treated you badly, there is no point trying to 'discuss' or 'argue' with him about the treatment - after the contract is over. Bad people are bad people, and 'talking' to them don't turn them into 'good' people.  Just block him and move on.   It's actually LESS confrontational to simply quick talking to a hostile person and block them because if you start discussing their behavior, they just become defensive and more hostile/rude.   Blocking a person - contractor or client - has NO impact on your JSS unless you do so while you still have an active contract with the client (which would be silly to do, anyway).  

If there's no active contract with the client, I have no obligation to listen to their nonsense. If I get any message, interview correspondence, or job invite I deem inappropriate or unprofessional, the client who sent it gets immediately BLOCKED. No 'negotiation', 'explanation', or discussion about the unacceptable behavior. Just BLOCKED.  Period.  Discussion terminated, and I move on like they don't even exist anymore.   I do it all the time, and it's had ZERO impact on my JSS or ability to earn on this platform. If you are uncomfortable with somebody's communications and have no contract with them, you should feel free to block them. If you don't want to work with a particular person, you can block or simply quit responding, but no freelancer owes any client any 'explanation' for why they no longer want to work with them. You can decline any project or refuse service to any client for any reason, or no reason at all: That is your right as a freelancer.

Many many Thanks CJ

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths