🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Bonus still in pending status
Page options
pemanchola
Community Member

Bonus still in pending status

Looking at my Transaction History report, on the date Jul 3, 2021 (today) several bonuses should be available for withdrawal, but instead are in the Pending status.

Wondering if others are seeing this issue?

Is this a bug related to the other payment issues reported yesterday?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ahmed Z wrote:

my bonus date shown pending .

OUCH!

That means the client hasn't paid a single Cent of those bonus payments.

NEVER accept payment for work in form of bonus payments. There is no way to dispute and there is no way to make the client pay.

Bonus payments should only ever be used as just that - a little "thank you" payment for a job well done in addition to money paid for the work. It looks like yours was paid  (or mot paid, as the case is here) instead of peroperly funded milestones.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
petra_r
Community Member

Patrice M wrote:

Looking at my Transaction History report, on the date Jul 3, 2021 several bonuses should be available for withdrawal, but instead are in the Pending status.

When were they paid (and why several bonuses? Never use bonuses as a way to get paid for work, as they are not protected) It means the client never paid those, unfortunately.

Take a look at your Pending page, what does it say under "Date" - in the left hand column? Does it say a date or does it say "Pending"?

If it says a date, that's the date they funds will clear. (5 days after the client was successfully (!) charged)

If it says "Pending" in that left hand column for more than 24 hours, the client's payment method could not be successfully charged.

The Date column displays Jul 3, 2021 and the Amount/Balance column displays the amount and "Pending" underneath.

In my experience with bonuses, the amount is normally available for withdrawal on the date in the Date column.

FYI, the client I am working with uses bonuses as its payment method and has been on Upwork for over 10 years, and I have worked with them for over 4 years.

Patrice M wrote:

The Date column displays Jul 3, 2021 and the Amount/Balance column displays the amount and "Pending" underneath.

Ah, then it should become available today. Very odd.

Patrice M wrote:

FYI, the client I am working with uses bonuses as its payment method and has been on Upwork for over 10 years, and I have worked with them for over 4 years.

Yes, all those arrangements "usually" work and there is never an issue. Until there is 😉 - I have similar arrangements (unfunded milestones due to working on milestones out of turn for example) with long term trusted clients , just wanted to make sure you are aware.

tlbp
Community Member

bank holiday?

pemanchola
Community Member

It is now 7 pm local time (GMT-5) and the bonus payments are available for withdrawal.

Why this is happening?

Will all bonus payments now arrive this late?

I'm having the same issue. Normally on the east coast I can withdraw payments at 7 or 8pm the day prior to the release date in my ledger. But I've got a payment right now from a regular client listed as "pending" that should be released. I've never seen that before.

Hope someone answers you. 

Hello Jason and Patrice,

Thank you for your message. 

Your bonus and milestone payments have 5 days security hold before it is released to you. Your payment will be shown as Pending on the Transaction History page before it becomes available for you to withdraw after the standard five-day security period. You will see the date of release for each fund on the same page. Feel free to message us if you have further questions.

Thank you.

Pradeep.

Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Pradeep H wrote:

Your bonus and milestone payments have 5 days security hold before it is released to you. Your payment will be shown as Pending on the Transaction History page before it becomes available for you to withdraw after the standard five-day security period. You will see the date of release for each fund on the same page.

They know that. They were wondering why the funds weren't available at 0:01 UTC (!) on the expected date as usual, but much (many hours) later.

shaneb76
Community Member

I have a weird one as well. Maybe because I have not had my coffee yet.

1. escrow funded milestone, requested milestone payment on the 19th of June. Client has gone AWOL. Payment status says paid on the 4th of July. (That makes it 15 days...in Pending)

2. 23:57UTC on the 3rd of July it says milestone approved.

3. New payment status in Pending says due 8th July. That's 19 days it will be in pending?

Another thing I have noticed. The forum clock seems to have changed time zones. It says I posted my previous comment at 11:21PM on the 3rd of July. I thought Upwork worked on UTC time zone? I had actually posted it at 8:21AM UTC on the 4th.

petra_r
Community Member

Shane B wrote:

Another thing I have noticed. The forum clock seems to have changed time zones. It says I posted my previous comment at 11:21PM on the 3rd of July. I thought Upwork worked on UTC time zone? I had actually posted it at 8:21AM UTC on the 4th.

The forum has always been on a different timezone than the site (which is UTC)

I think the forum (which is NOT run on Upwork) is PST (and always has been)

shaneb76
Community Member

Thanks, lack of morning coffee is to blame.

any comment on my post above it saying milestone payment pending for 19 days after Escrow?

petra_r
Community Member

Shane B wrote:

any comment on my post above it saying milestone payment pending for 19 days after Escrow?

Sure. As always, after the milestone is approved (manually by the client or automatically after 14 days) it goes from in review into pending because of the 5 days security period.

Maybe up that caffeine intake 😉

shaneb76
Community Member

Clearly my brain is not functioning on the first cup. Thanks. I don't deal that often with clients going AWOL and having to wait.

FYI, Pradeep.

I also submitted a support request for this issue and received a response. In the response, the support agent included a screenshot of my transaction history. The dates in that screenshot are not the same dates that I see in my transaction history.

In addition, in my Transaction History report, on the date Jul 4, 2021 (today) I have more bonuses that should be available for withdrawal, but instead are in the Pending status.

I suggest that others seeing this payment problem also submit a support request to help get more visibility for this issue.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Ahmed Z wrote:

OUCH!

That means the client hasn't paid a single Cent of those bonus payments.

NEVER accept payment for work in form of bonus payments. There is no way to dispute and there is no way to make the client pay.

Bonus payments should only ever be used as just that - a little "thank you" payment for a job well done in addition to money paid for the work. It looks like yours was paid  (or mot paid, as the case is here) instead of peroperly funded milestones.

dfe177a9
Community Member

The same issue is with me

but client pay the bouonse upwork take his fees from there but it day  it is still pending.

mubashir741
Community Member

client give bonus of 1300 it being 3 days but still showing pending in date section  i ask client to check he says he pay from his end is it normal or what i should do

That's a very high priced job for someone whose only other jobs paid $595 in total. Why wasn't the payment put into escrow instead of paid as a bonus? Did you buy something for this client?

Hi Mubashir,

I can see you've reached out to the team in charge of your case. Rest assured the team will address your concerns and questions via the ticket as soon as possible.

A gentle reminder, please avoid creating several tickets with the same concern so that the team could assist you more efficiently. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi Mubahsir, Have your issue been resolved? as today a client sent me a 2000 bonus to send to someone locally I did it but now his message room is not visible and the contract is also showing suspended. did I get robbed?

Yes, you got robbed. You should only agree to do projects that require actual work, and not take part in get-rich-quick schemes. Nobody is going to pay you hundreds of dollars for a few minutes of easy work.

Sending money outside Upwork is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service.

Sending money to complete strangers is not a job. Making money without working for it will always end up in loosing money or other problems.

The payment method of your client failed, so Upwork can not charge it to pay you.

People should never accept a bonus as main payment 

rekhasroshan
Community Member

I am having same issue. Client told me to buy domain and game me $300 in bonus but it never came. It is showing pending in trascation history. How can I dispute this payment

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths