🐈 Community
seljindesign

Bookkeeping apps for VAT calculations.

Hey, all. Thought it would be a good idea to keep a list of Bookkeeping apps since I read a Swedish girls response to our VAT questions. It might be easier than us un-experienced think to keep it under control. At least that's what I hope. I don't have anything to suggest at this time, I need to research that myself and get back with my findings and in th meantime, please help with the list if you can, thanks.

'I do understand everyone's concern here, about how they will have to pay a higher service fee if they don't have, or aren't entitled to, a VAT number (about 12% service fee as opposed to the current 10%), but it might be worthwhile to investigate what your country actually requires you to do when you report VAT and stuff. Maybe I'm just spoiled in Sweden, but if you're lucky it might not be as hard as you think.

For instance, in Sweden (where every registered company has to be VAT registered from their first sale, no matter what their turnover is -- with only a few exceptions, mainly non-profits.) there are relatively cheap bookkeeping programs that do 99% of the work for you. All that is needed is that the correct earnings and expenses, with relevant VAT, are registered properly. And then at the end of the reporting period (monthly or 3-monthly) the bookkeeping program can print out the correct form that can then be sent to the tax office. All done.

Now, admittedly, we might have such good bookkeeping programs because virtually all companies must be VAT registered, but if anyone uses a bookkeeping program in another country maybe they can say how their bookkeeping programs handle VAT.'

4 REPLIES 4
evetodew

Marko, what's the name of this bookkeeping app? Windows, Mac, iPhone? That sounds like a good idea to me.

I'm the one who made the original post, so I think I should clarify. In Sweden there are a lot of bookkkeeping programs, and have been for some time, so most of them you install on a local computer. Cloud services and apps are coming onto the market, but I know less about them. 

The problem with all the programs and services I do know about is that they are all in Swedish, and don't come in English versions, so you'll need to do some research to find bookeeping software in your language. A quick google brought up this as a starting point. http://accounting-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

I don't know how any of these program handle VAT, however, so you'll have to check out their websites to find out.

Hope this helps someone.

Hi Teri, I forgot your name so I couldn't source you at the time, sorry. I am Swedish, could you tell me which softwares you would recommend for Swedes?

There are about half a dozen good programs I can recommend. Personally I use BL Administration because I like the way it works, but there's also eFredo, which is the cheapest commercial one. It's specially designed for "enskild firma" and includes a tax program to calculate all personal and business income taxes. Unicell claims to be Sweden's easiest bookkeeping program, so that might also be worth checking out. These are all programs that you can download and install.

If you prefer online service, then BL also have an online version. There's also Fortnox and e-conomics that are entirely online. I'll PM you with links, rather than post them all here.