🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Booster proposal system YES or NOT. Will it b...
Page options
dav_r_r
Community Member

Booster proposal system YES or NOT. Will it become effective through time?

Hi there,
actually, I tested the booster several times trying to find the best way to use it, but I found it unworkable.

In my opinion:
1. the first big mess is the impossibility of freelancers to raise the bid.
2. Clients should select the freelancer to work with only when the auction is closed, and all should know the auction deadline. This will allow all people interested in the job to find a good strategy to bid at the right moment.
3. Regardless of how this new feature will be improved, I find it ineffective. Since it was introduced, I am no longer able to acquire new clients.

I really would like to know, and share the best way to use the new system to guarantee an effective experience on the platform.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best,
Davide

24 REPLIES 24
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Get rid of it forever.

Yes, I agree.
Let's hope they will remove this sort of unreasonable action house.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Worst idea ever.

You are right,
I'll give it some more time for a better evaluation, but I think about moving to other platforms if nothing will change.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Davide Rino R wrote:

2. Clients should select the freelancer to work with only when the auction is closed, and all should know the auction deadline. This will allow all people interested in the job to find a good strategy to bid at the right moment.

It would be a silly strategy to wait until right before an "auction" closes and then place a bid - the client could already be interviewing several freelancers and not be interested in hearing from anyone else by then. And if a client has already found a freelancer that they want to work with, but they're not allowed to close the project until the deadline, then everyone else will be wasting their connects.

Dear Christine,
thanks for your reply.
I didn't mean the freelancer has to bid after the auction closure. It is nonsense.
I mean the client should select/interview the freelancer after the auction closure.
It could just work as all other actions do. Nothing special at all.

Anyway,
I think the auction system itself is failing.

petra_r
Community Member

Davide Rino R wrote:

I mean the client should select/interview the freelancer after the auction closure.
I think the auction system itself is failing.

Don't think of it as an auction. It isn't an auction.

If a client wants to hire someone for something today, why should they be forced to wait a week? That is just silly.

It's a horrible idea and there were many hundreds, if not thousands of posts telling Upwork so. Yet, here we are.

dav_r_r
Community Member

Hi Petra,
thanks for your feedback.
I can't think different.
If I choose to enhance my proposal with a boost, a sort of "AD", and I'll be outbid... this looks like an auction.
If I'm going to spend 20 connects to "AD" my proposal there will be always someone that is going to spend 1 connect more. This is an auction, the only difference is that I can't raise my bid once I posted my proposal.

dav_r_r
Community Member

Of course, the client can't wait a week, but the system should allow the client to set up the auction deadline. For example, it could be 5 hours if the client is in hurry.
All freelancers will know the auction deadline and will be able to manage their boost strategy.

That would be detrimental to the client experience.

It would make it clear that it IS an auction - but that should not be the aim. It would further confuse the client who just wants to find the best person for his job and doesn't care who was more desperate, or had too many connects, or whatever. 

The JSS is a perfectly good tool for the client to evaluate a freelancer. There should not be any interference with it. 

You are right.
In the end, the auction is a fail.

Davide Rino R wrote:

Of course, the client can't wait a week, but the system should allow the client to set up the auction deadline. For example, it could be 5 hours if the client is in hurry.
All freelancers will know the auction deadline and will be able to manage their boost strategy.

What you're asking for would only make things much, much worse - desperate freelancers would wait until the absolute last minute and then suddenly throw tons of connects at the project in an effort to be noticed. Meanwhile, the client will have already read bids from serious, confident freelancers who aren't interested in the boost feature, and probably will have already made up their minds.

Davide Rino R wrote:

Dear Christine,
thanks for your reply.
I didn't mean the freelancer has to bid after the auction closure. It is nonsense.
It could just work as all other actions do. Nothing special at all.

I understood what you were saying. It seems like you didn't read my response, which I stand by.

moonraker
Community Member

Davide Rino R wrote:

1. the first big mess is the impossibility of freelancers to raise the bid.

And how would this be any better if freelancers could raise their bid?

Hi Jamie,
if a freelancer boosted the proposal, it means he/she wants the blue bolt active (top three proposals).
If someone outbid them, they should have the chance to raise the bit to get once again on the top.
Otherwise, in my opinion, making a single bid with a 99% chance to get outbid does not make a lot of sense.

And how would that make it any better?

All you you'd be doing is putting more emphasis on pay to win, which is already abhorrent as it is. Freelancers should be hired on merit, not according to how much they can pay.

Hey Jamie,
as I wrote at the beginning, I'm not a fan of boosting proposals. However, since it is how the platform works now, I'm just looking to find a way to let it work more effectively.
I would be able to choose, I'll remove the auction at all.

How would that make it any better? Can you answer that question for me?

I'm not saying it will be better since we agree the actual system is just a fail.
I only try to find a more effective way to use it, since at the moment is something we can't avoid.

How will it become more effective?  More effective at what, exactly?

petra_r
Community Member

Davide Rino R wrote:

... since at the moment is something we can't avoid.

Of course you can avoid it.

Don't boost.

Problem solved.

I keep trying to come up with a scenario where I would consider using the boost.  Can't think of a single one.

dav_r_r
Community Member

Too easy 😜
Actually, if I do not boot my proposal, the chances to get in touch with the client are closely lost.
Of course, I'm not the best freelancer on the platform. However, I had a very good experience working on Upwork before the introduction of the boost system.
This is a big issue on my side.

darrenwall74
Community Member

Bye-bye boost!

You'd think Upwork would talk to the people who use its platform. We know what works.

The problem is that it's constantly looking for ways to gamify for profit, and it won't work.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members