🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Bots to interview freelancers
Page options
swe20144
Community Member

Bots to interview freelancers

As I understand it,
the upwork policy forbids freelancers from using bots/automation to send messages/proposals.

What about clients, can they use automation/bots to send messages/interview prospective freelancers?

The reason I'm asking is:
I was shortlisted by a client and then he went on to ask a series of questions through a period of time.
And then finally after I wasted my time answering his/her question he goes silent for some days/weeks.
So I ask yesterday "hows it going", and he goes, ...oh your rate was too high so we couldn't hire you. so i asked why did you make me go through all those questions/ answers if my rate is too high to begin with. And he says:

"... Everything’s automated my man
We get information from every candidate that applies..."

Did I get that right? Freelancers can't use automation but clients can?

3 REPLIES 3
versailles
Community Member

Considering the number of spam-proposals that clients receive, I'm surprised this is not a more widespread tactic. Not that I'm in favor of this practice, but I can somehow understand.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

It is a practice that should be discouraged by Upwork. What is the OP's client "gathering information" for? I doubt it is to hire. Also if a bot is used then the bot should be trained to immediately inform an invited freelancer as to why he or she did not get the job - whatever the reason.  

researchediting
Community Member

I would not expect Upwork to weigh in, let alone push back, on this practice. Automation of initial screening has become standard in the hiring (employment) world, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were—or were becoming—standard in contractor review.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths