cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand New with Tons of Questions

Highlighted
John B Member Since: Dec 22, 2013
1 of 8
Firstly, hello everyone! I'm John. I just signed up last night and today filled out my profile. I have applied for one job and thought I would check out the forums. One of the first thing I saw in the forums is "How to Get Jobs" and "Be wary of scams" posts. The first one I sort of flipped through thinking, "Pfffft, I know how to fill out an application!". After a few minutes I thought about it and came to the conclusion that perhaps I don't know how to fill out my profile properly. I assumed that making a point to say how cheap I am or how I am willing to underbid their lowest bidder would be key. I feel I have assumed very wrongly. So I thought I would come here to get a few questions thrown in to see if I could improve my profile, myself and my chance of getting jobs. My first question has to be, how much is too low/high on a bid? I have my standard set at $10 per hour, though I am very willing to work at minimum wage, of $7.00..should I put my bare minimum? Should I lower it even more to say $5? My profile...It seems a bit, well, not very remarkable. Most of the jobs I've done are typical 9 to 5 jobs and are factory. I've done a lot of different office jobs, data entry etc... but it wasn't anything official and in quite a few it was to help a friend or a friend of a friend to get their office caught up and had no pay. Should I remove the none working jobs on my resume? Any advice to this or any thing else that would help me would be greatly appreciated.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Alexander N Member Since: Sep 14, 2013
2 of 8
Hi, John. I'm not most experienced blood here myself, but i could give some suggestions. First, remove any mentions of "cheap" from your profile. There are loads and loads of people here who will work for food or even less than food. So never go lower that regular hourly rate for your country / region. For example, look up hourly payment of cashier in McDonald's. If your rate is lower than that, it will be a waste of time working here. Take some tests to prove your skills. And make a point of your previous jobs in programming / web-design. Try to dig up some projects you did, so you could add them to portfolio. And also, I'd suggest complete rewrite of profile's overview to something more optimistic and shedding more light on your strongest skills.
Highlighted
Najie B Member Since: Oct 8, 2013
3 of 8
First of all I would like to welcome you for joining here in oDesk, I am not the expert in here. So all the things that I am going to say are based on my experiences only. Since I encountered the same problem too before when I was newly here also. First of all your profile needs to be more aggressive, I mean put all the things that you know and things that you can do on a killing paragraph, Second, Take some exams and pass them all, as much as possible with a mark of Top %% Third, About the rate, you are the only one who can determine what is your rate, Example does your $11.11/Hour reflects to the knowledge and the quality of your performance? If yes then it would be fair for you and for the client, I mean " You'll get what you pay for " on the client's side. Because some jobs are offering below $1 an hour, again I am not expert, but I think it should be about the exchange rate or how does the others are ( I am not going to say desperate but I will say determined) to get the lowest bid, Hope it helps, also if you can notice my profile please tell me also what can you suggest about it, I would love to hear from you. Thanks and have a great day, Kind Regards, AVJ
Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
4 of 8
Hi John, Welcome! Take that comment out of your profile straight away -> "You'll find no one cheaper." because at $11.11 an hour there are people on here that will work for $1 per hour from some third world countries. If you can't compete on rates you need to compete based on the quality of your work. You need to think how you can offer some sort of unique services so you can charge more than every other Jack and Jill in this place. Come up with something catchy or unique to add to your profile overview, check out the beginning of my profile for an example (if you don't know you can just click on my name at the top of this forum post to see my profile!) You have IT experience in your past job history I would be pushing those skills as they pay a lot more on oDesk than most others. Take some tests and keep taking them until you get some reasonable top 30% or better scores. If you have some spare time each day try to skill up, spend every spare moment learning something new. I see you applied to a HTML job so you seem to be interested in programming. Why don't you try out: http://www.codecademy.com/ its a good way to refresh your skills and learn new stuff. Plus you get a codecademy profile that you can show employers. Read about the codecademy success stories that might get you interested. Otherwise take other free courses maybe from https://www.edx.org/ or even have a look at http://code.org/ I see you applied to only one job. You will need to send out a lot more applications per week if you want to have a decent chance of landing a job. Good luck and keep applying!
Highlighted
John B Member Since: Dec 22, 2013
5 of 8
Hello and thank you all for replying! I did not expect such a warm and helpful welcome, honestly. All of the advice is so very sound and makes perfect sense, I’ll get onto making the changes straight away. I was over at Elance for sometime (I’m sure you’ve all heard of it) and I it was like a pack of piranha over there, this is so much better and I truly appreciate the effort and help you’ve all giving me so far. John
Highlighted
Kathy C Member Since: Jul 21, 2010
6 of 8
Since you're new, I'm guessing you haven't discovered yet that oDesk and Elance are merging.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
7 of 8
Is one of the piranhas..lol..he has a great profile at Elance, and pretty active. Congrats, John! for reaching level 10 Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
8 of 8
Babe you never cease to amaze me! Always with the right comments at the right times! No wonder why you have a perfect 5 star oDesk profile! Impressive! Vote one - Natasha R for oDesk extraordinaire!
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS