Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new scam!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
1 of 13

Anyone else notice the hundreds of compltely bogus job postings this morning that include the phrase, "This job was posted from a mobile device, so please pardon any typos or any missing details." ??

I tried to submit a ticket, since so many of them are obviously nonsense or spam posts, but the support site is buggy as usual and it would not go through. Is this phrase something that Upwork is adding to job posts automatically, or some weird new hallmark for a spam user to track their posts with?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
2 of 13

i have also been submitting them as spam...it's really weird. is it some kind of boiler plate message that upworks added in for clients to use when on mobile or is some person adding jobs from multiple ip addresses, same person? i've stayed clear of them. One i encountered had feedback and a 5 star rating. Strange. 

Highlighted
Lyndon D Member Since: Apr 20, 2017
3 of 13

Hi. Sorry to cut into this thread. Not having written before, it's a bit new to me. Where do I write to if I want to express my disappointment with the mobile version of upwork? Thanks Smiley Happy L

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 13

Post a new thread if you want real answers. Or submit a support ticket if the system will let you.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 13

Jess and others,

The message is added when a job is posted from the mobile version of the site to inform users who view it that that can be the reason of the brevity and lack of details.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 13

oh ok well that's good to know because I've never seen it until now. i guess this is a newly added feature. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 13

Nope, this is ridiculous.

Giving clients a "reason" for posting a vague job posting is not something Upwork should be encouraging. Job posts have been getting more and more absurd by the day - there need to be some standards in place to weed out the scams from the legitimate clients. Allowing mobile postings of two-word descriptions plus this "disclaimer" increases the static.

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 13

yeah i was actually thinking the exact same thing when i said i guess it's a new feature. i said "good to know" because at least it means they are not necessarily fake jobs. To me, adding this line to posts makes clients think it's fine to write the most vague description they possibly can and that it's ok because "they were on a mobile device". Upworks should be encouraging clients to write more descriptions when they post jobs, not the opposite. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
James S Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
9 of 13

Good to know; I've been avoiding them thinking that is dumb to add to your job description. Although most were from new non-verified clients with nothing budgets. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Giorgi N Member Since: Dec 5, 2015
10 of 13

Lol, I was flagging those jobs as a spam.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS