🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Bringing a new freelancer on board
Page options
blakemitchell55
Community Member

Bringing a new freelancer on board

I have been working on upwork for just over 3 1/2 years now. My girlfriend is interested in possibly signing up as a free lancer. When I signed 3 1/2 years ago, things were apparently some what different than they are now. In order to get my profile up to 100%, I had to take one of many tests upwork offered. I have noticed since then, though, these tests no longer exist. I have looked through much of the available help guides, but I can not determine exactly what she will need to do to become fully qualified to work on Upwork. The guides seem to indicate it is ridiculously easy to do, but they were like that back then too. I didn't find out, until I signed up, that my profile had to be completed, to 100%, and I couldn't get all the way to 100% without taking a test. I also did find out, until after I signed up, that no client would hire unless your profile was completed to 100%. Sooo, how is it done these days? I would like to make sure she is fully prepared to complete the process when she goes to sign up.

2 REPLIES 2
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Just tell your girlfriend to fill out the form - it IS ridiculously easy to sign up, and there are no tests to take any more. Since you're in the US, her profile will probably be automatically accepted. Just remember that you can't create her account or log into her account to help her fill it out, or both of your accounts could be banned.
petra_r
Community Member

Blake M wrote:

My girlfriend is interested in possibly signing up as a free lancer. 

I think you may want to just let her set her own profile up herself. 

Blake M wrote:

I also did find out, until after I signed up, that no client would hire unless your profile was completed to 100%.

This isn't the case and wasn't the case back then either. It only has to be 100% to qualify for Rising Talent or later Top Rated status.

Blake M wrote:

Sooo, how is it done these days? I would like to make sure she is fully prepared to complete the process when she goes to sign up.

She can refer to this article that explains it.  There are some prerequisites, but a 100% complete profile can also be created by adding extra optional items.

PROFILE ITEM VALUE

Portfolio Item

5% each (max 20%)

Employment History Item10% each (max 20%)

Education

10% each (max 20%)

Profile Video10% 
Linked Account10% (max 10%)
Certification5% each (max 10%)
Other Experience5% (max 5%)
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members