🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Bringing existing clients to Upwork
Page options
lpetan
Community Member

Bringing existing clients to Upwork

I've been working in a conversion rate optimization field for 3 years, and I have some long-term customers I got mostly thru LinkedIn and references. Some of them have an Upwork account tho.

Since I started to use Upwork just recently, I don't have references, so I wondered if I could ask some of those customers to create a job on the Upwork to get paid here on Upwork?

Is this against your TOS?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Luka,

I would like to clarify that this is not allowed. Since you would like to receive a reference from your past (outside of Upwork) clients you can send a request for a testimonial.
To do this, go to your profile and scroll down to the Testimonials section. Once you`re there click on "Request a testimonial" and fill out the information in the new window. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Luka P wrote:

I've been working in a conversion rate optimization field for 3 years, and I have some long-term customers I got mostly thru LinkedIn and references. Some of them have an Upwork account tho.

Since I started to use Upwork just recently, I don't have references, so I wondered if I could ask some of those customers to create a job on the Upwork to get paid and get reviews here on Upwork?

Is this against your TOS?

It is against ToS if it's feedback building. In principle, there is nothing wrong with bringing clients to upwork, but I guess you stated your intention on a public forum, so.......

If you bring a new client to upwork with the intention of hiring just you, please have the common courtesy to tell him to not post a job, or post by invitation only job, so that other freelancers don't waste their connects. 

Thank you for your reply, but I find it somehow dubious.

So it is against the rules and can get me in trouble? 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Luka,

I would like to clarify that this is not allowed. Since you would like to receive a reference from your past (outside of Upwork) clients you can send a request for a testimonial.
To do this, go to your profile and scroll down to the Testimonials section. Once you`re there click on "Request a testimonial" and fill out the information in the new window. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you for clarifying that to me.

Great idea with the testimonials section.

Thank you.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths