🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Virus and malware alerts
Page options
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Browser Error Message - This file is dangerous..."

Over the past couple of hours my Chrome browser is giving me the following error when I try to download a file a client has attached to an Upwork message:

“This file is dangerous, so Chrome has blocked it.”

Is anyone else having this problem? I have been using Chrome for a long time to access Upwork and this is a first.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

Just wanted to provide an update that our engineers have been made aware of this issue and will work on resolving it as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
amol-lokare
Community Member

same with me!

its problem with crome but not with Microsoft edge.

ravi_iitian
Community Member

Hi Will,

I too am getting this message from Google Chrome when trying to download a .doc file attached by my client.

I too have been using Chrome for a long time to access Upwork, and this is my first time too.

"Certa bonum certamen"

Just tested on Chrome and got the same message - download is blocked.

I wonder if Upwork has been blacklisted as a source of malware.

Tried Firefox, but got a blank document.

"Certa bonum certamen"

Microsoft Edge worked.

"Certa bonum certamen"
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

Please bear with us as this may take a little time to get information since we’re waiting on a response from another team. We appreciate your patience and will update you as soon as possible.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
wescowley
Community Member

This just started for me today as well.  

Solution is to go to Chrome's download list and click "Keep Dangerous File" next to the file that was blocked.

blocked file.JPG

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

Just wanted to provide an update that our engineers have been made aware of this issue and will work on resolving it as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I am having this issue right now - can you tell me how to get around it?  It won't let me download a file to Chrome b/c it says it is dangerous

Hi Deborah,

I’ve shared your concern with the team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
m_sharman
Community Member

I'm having issues downloading a file sent by the client. It worked fine on Thursday and then yesterday, Saturday and again today, Chrome gave me the attached error. 

I attempted to dowload it with a different name, nothing worked. I've requested the client email the file, but I will check Bing as an alternate. 

Edited to add: Bing worked, is this a known issue with Chrome? This is the first time I've encountered this issue. 

I am still having this same problem.  It is not a cache issue but seems to be something with Upwork and Chrome.  This is the first time that I have encountered this problem.  For those of us trying to get some work done, could someone please look into this issue?  Having used Chrome and Upwork for years it does not make sense to switch browsers.  

I first reported this hours ago and still no response.  

Hi Miriam and Kim,

Our engineers have been made aware of this issue and will work to fix this issue as soon as possible. In the meantime, can you please try using a different browser? Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork
c_mcmahen
Community Member

I have new client, and I can't open either of the files he sent me because of virus and malware alerts. Any advice on how to proceed?

Cathy M wrote:

I have new client, and I can't open either of the files he sent me because of virus and malware alerts. Any advice on how to proceed?

Try a different browser (carefully.)

It seems Chrome is being a bit careful with Upwork files at the moment...

Thanks, Actually, I use Firefox most of the time. Chrome opened the files.

I am having the same issue with Chrome, and have logged the issue with Upwork support.

I took a text file with "hello world" and uploaded for a client.. When I click on the file myself it wont even allow me to open the file I have just uploaded.

Looks like Upwork have been blanklisted by the Google Chrome list and hopefully it can be sorted by them shortly.. It never feels good telling a client "ignore that message and open it in this other browser that won't warn you!"

Cathy M wrote:

Please read the rest of the thread.

Microsoft Edge worked for me.

"Certa bonum certamen"

Just to add, Firefox has also been reporting downloaded files from Upwork as malware. It does let me view them, but I have to give specific consent. Looks like they got the same memo as Chrome. Please look into this as well.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths