Did you mean: 

Re: Budgets too low

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
51 of 77

Douglas Michael M wrote:

RJ S wrote:
[apparently quoting:]

Upwork does not support contract rates under $3.00 per hour (including the Upwork Service fee) for hourly contracts.

+___ [apparent end of quote]

That is an unbelievable statement. Upwork is BASED in the United States of America. If it wants to cordon off a section and say, "This is for third world people, who we know can live on $400 a month," fine. But for ANYONE wishing to hire a US freelancer, the amount requested should reflect OUR standard of living....

There is reason to believe Upwork's minimum hourly rate is no higher because its corporate clients, e.g., a famous Family Entertainment Movie Studio, don't allow it. Those clients don't care where their talent comes from, as long as it meets their needs. Alas, corporate and legistlative America in general do not care about the standard of living of American workers. And there are plenty of takers for $3/hour jobs (or less, via fixed price) right here in the USA.

Worth noting that freelancers are not "workers" but business owners. We are not labor, we are management. U.S. freelancer pay their own payroll taxes and perform other tasks that are assigned to employers and as such do not qualify for protection as workers. That many "gig workers" don't understand their position as an independent business owner is unfortunate. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
52 of 77

OMG she's back and this makes me sooooo happy right now! The universe is kind on this happy recovery saturday.

Community Guru
Miriam H Member Since: May 16, 2017
53 of 77

Tonya P wrote:

Worth noting that freelancers are not "workers" but business owners. We are not labor, we are management. U.S. freelancer pay their own payroll taxes and perform other tasks that are assigned to employers and as such do not qualify for protection as workers. That many "gig workers" don't understand their position as an independent business owner is unfortunate. 

This, this, this!!!

Also, others in the thread are stating Upwork is a US company and must adhere to minimum wage laws in the US. However, Upwork is not my employer. They are a lead generation site that holds money in escrow. They have no legal obligation to me regarding employment. That said, different rules may apply when Upwork represents an enterprise client and pays you via W-2 - which I believe does happen. I'm quite certain in those cases Upwork follows all applicable employment laws.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
BEST ANSWER
54 of 77

The good thing about Upwork is that we don't have to apply for jobs that we don't want.

I don't know how it is for other freelancers in other markets than mine, but even with an hourly rate on my profile that are higher than most I still get enough jobs. And there are plenty of writers charging way more than me. For some my rates might seem way to low. The funny thing is that the more I raise my rate, the better jobs I get. I just raised my rates form $60 to $80, and two days later I got an invite for a job paying me more than my rate.

The point is that you need to target the right market, and ignore the low paying jobs that you don't want. I'm sure a lot of clients are not even looking at my profile when they see my rates, but then again those are not clients I want to work for anyway. And as Petra said, I have also gotten jobs where I bid way more than the budget.

These are my stats, and as you can see you don't have to lower your rates to get work here. No matter what other freelancers are bidding.
Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 18.27.41.png

55 of 77

@Eve L wrote:

The good thing about Upwork is that we don't have to apply for jobs that we don't want.

The funny thing is that the more I raise my rate, the better jobs I get.

That!

Virginia M Member Since: Sep 15, 2015
56 of 77

Yes, you don't have to apply for jobs you don't want, but if you don't, Upwork will make your profile private if you haven't worked in a certain number of days. That is ridiculous! The changes Upwork has been making (paying for connects, automatically privatizing certain freelancers, paying 20% for each job we get) are not for the better. That, combined with the ridiculous amounts most Upwork clients are willing to pay, is why I don't work on this site very often. 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
57 of 77

Virginia M wrote:

Yes, you don't have to apply for jobs you don't want, but if you don't, Upwork will make your profile private if you haven't worked in a certain number of days. That is ridiculous! The changes Upwork has been making (paying for connects, automatically privatizing certain freelancers, paying 20% for each job we get) are not for the better. That, combined with the ridiculous amounts most Upwork clients are willing to pay, is why I don't work on this site very often. 

I don't understand the drama surrounding profiles being made temporarily private. It doesn't impact your ability to bid on jobs in any way. So, unless you regularly receive good quality invitations that convert to paying work, being set to private doesn't affect you at all. And, if you ARE regularly receiving good quality invitations that convert to paying work, then it's only going to be a rare timing-driven moment in which your profile is briefly set to private.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
58 of 77

Virginia M wrote:

Yes, you don't have to apply for jobs you don't want, but if you don't, Upwork will make your profile private if you haven't worked in a certain number of days.

It's when you haven't earned in 30 days.

Virginia M wrote:

The changes Upwork has been making (paying for connects, automatically privatizing certain freelancers, paying 20% for each job we get) are not for the better. That, combined with the ridiculous amounts most Upwork clients are willing to pay, is why I don't work on this site very often. 

It takes a minute to ask for it to be set public again. No big deal and honestly, why should Upwork actively promote (show high in searches) a freelancer whe "doesn't use the site very often" over those who put in the effort, are present, actively working and making money?

Upwork has far, far too many freelancers. Freelancers who don't make them any money are excess baggage...

Donatas S Member Since: Jul 13, 2019
59 of 77

Upwork, I believe, will eventually become a place for cheap low-risk work, since it is designed this way. For developers who try to capitalise on strong communication, perfection and soft issues will be dissapointed. Why? Because most companies for more serious ongoing work tend to search for people through other channels. Work that can not be performed by focused professional developers will end up within Upwork. Whether this servs specific freelancer, is up to him/her. However, from economic theory standpoint, Upwrok is not the best place for those with strong focus and those seeking to gain higher market value.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
60 of 77

All,

A few posts have been removed from this thread as they were inappropriate for this Community.

Please, be mindful of the Community Guidelines and respectful towards other members when posting on these boards.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS