Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Budgets too low

Community Leader
Debora F Member Since: Nov 3, 2010
1 of 39

Hello

I don't understand what is happening in Upwork. You allow clients paying $1.59/hr Avg Hourly Rate Paid , like a client that posted a job for Medical translation today. 

How can we, experienced and professional freelancers, work when clients are asking to work for 5 or 10 dollars, or 2 dollars/ hour.

And then, as it happened to me last week, you make my profile private because you say that I'm not hired... Of course... I will not work for 10 dollars minus 2 dollars fee = 8 dollars .... Is not worth my time.

Some minutes ago a client posted a job asking for proofreading an academic text 2500 words long, asking to do it for today (in 3 hours) and offers USD10 (final price 8 dollars)!!  This is really not fair!! Ridiculous!  

This changed in the last year in Upwork, is a cheaper site so professionals that had a good record, like myself, have no place to work.

Why don't you ask for limits to clients, so they can't offer less than USD25 for a fixed price or USD15/hour, for example?

I know... there are freelancers that accept lower budgets (because they have no option) and clients that want to pay higher rates (not so often).

Please, check the rules for clients offering jobs so the more experienced and professionals freelancers can continue working in Upwork.  

Thank you
DF

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 39

I pay little attention to the budget. I bid what will make it worth my while to do the job. If that’s twice or 5 times or more the budget, so be it.

Community Leader
3 of 39

I also place my bids higher than that, but always are people ready to bid $5... so I think that Upwork has to place limits to clients to do it fair. 

Last week Upwork made my profile private because they say that I didn't work for the last weeks (it wasn´t right anyway)... of course I will not be hired if I place $120 when the client wants to pay $20 

Peter G Member Since: Mar 13, 2019
4 of 39

I feel your pain. I'm so blown away by many fixed-price creative budgets...$50 for a logo! Most recently, "Create a unique and website friendly logo...be smooth and modern!"—fixed price: $10. That's not even an hourly rate.

I understand some just put anything as a placeholder, but then how do we, very experienced professionals, know if they are serious or not? I don't want to waste my 2 Connects on something that is garbage.

I wish there were limits to what people can put as a fixed-price for certain things.

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
5 of 39

Peter G wrote:

I feel your pain. I'm so blown away by many fixed-price creative budgets...$50 for a logo! Most recently, "Create a unique and website friendly logo...be smooth and modern!"—fixed price: $10. That's not even an hourly rate.

I understand some just put anything as a placeholder, but then how do we, very experienced professionals, know if they are serious or not? I don't want to waste my 2 Connects on something that is garbage.

I wish there were limits to what people can put as a fixed-price for certain things.

You won't know every single time without fail, but you can look for clues. One might be the average hire rate (check the rates yourself for individual jobs since they may be asking for different types of work, some of which will generally pay lower/higher). Another could be the previous freelancers' feedback left for the client. You could also try to go for established clients with a long(er) history here.

And some clients actually state in the description that they're not sure how many hours the job will take and ask that you submit your rate. (You would anyway, but I suppose they're just making sure freelancers understand the fee is just a placeholder.)

There's no guaranteed way not to "waste" connects, per se, but unless you're using them up to the limit each month it's probably not as much of a problem. I never use all my connects and some months I don't use any. As your reputation builds up you may get repeat clients and enough approaches of solid jobs that you won't need to be using many connects.

There's no way for Upwork to guarantee you haven't "wasted" connects, especially since the definition of that may vary. Were they wasted if the client decided to reject a slightly higher offer? Were they wasted if the client rejected the freelancer in question for another reason? The more UW has to babysit these sorts of things, the higher I see our fees going since somebody has to be paid to do that.

You'll get more and more of a feel for legit jobs as you get more experienced on UW.

Community Guru
6 of 39

@Petra R wrote:

I pay little attention to the budget. I bid what will make it worth my while to do the job. If that’s twice or 5 times or more the budget, so be it.

I don't bid my rate if the budget is crazy low, like the $3 minimum (or in the OP's case, apparently less). That's not worth my while at all. A company that wants to pay two dollars an hour for copy doesn't want quality copy and definitely doesn't want my rates. So why bother? I concentrate my energies on clients I know want someone like me, not someone who will beg for three-dollar jobs. And that's not disrespect...there's a place for super-cheap work at super-cheap rates and super-cheap quality. Some people legitimately do want that and don't require really good work. I know they won't care about my quality and don't want my rates so I pass them on by; it's just not a fit.

Highlighted
Adnan F Member Since: Nov 6, 2018
7 of 39

HI Petra,

I've been considering bidding a rate which I think is fair. Have you been successful with a job bid when you've offered higher?

Thanks. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 39

@Adnan F wrote:

HI Petra,

I've been considering bidding a rate which I think is fair. Have you been successful with a job bid when you've offered higher?

Yes, but it doesn't always work and won't work with every client.

Community Guru
9 of 39

@Debora F wrote:

Hello

I don't understand what is happening in Upwork. You allow clients paying $1.59/hr Avg Hourly Rate Paid , like a client that posted a job for Medical translation today. 

How can we, experienced and professional freelancers, work when clients are asking to work for 5 or 10 dollars, or 2 dollars/ hour.

And then, as it happened to me last week, you make my profile private because you say that I'm not hired... Of course... I will not work for 10 dollars minus 2 dollars fee = 8 dollars .... Is not worth my time.

This changed in the last year in Upwork, is a cheaper site so professionals that had a good record, like myself, have no place to work.

Why don't you ask for limits to clients, so they can't offer less than USD25 for a fixed price or USD15/hour, for example?

I know... there are freelancers that accept lower budgets (because they have no option) and clients that want to pay higher rates (not so often).

Please, check the rules for clients offering jobs so the more experienced and professionals freelancers can continue working in Upwork.  

Thank you
DF

1. Copied & pasted so it's Upwork's words, not mine: 

Upwork does not support contract rates under $3.00 per hour (including the Upwork Service fee) for hourly contracts.

If you have a current or past contract for less than $3.00 per hour, don’t worry. The minimum doesn’t apply to existing contracts. Rehires by past clients are exempt if they previously hired you at less than the current minimum. Rehires of past freelancers are also exempt if you previously hired them for less than $3.00 per hour.

2. As long as there has been business, there have forever been factions who will look for the absolute rock-bottom prices, no matter how shabby the results. Nobody HAS to utilize them. 

3. As long as there will be business, there will forever be factions who will look for the absolute rock-bottom prices, no matter how shabby the results. Nobody HAS to utilize them.

Blow past those jobs and look for the reasonably-priced ones, which are definitely there and not with unicorn status, either.

Community Leader
10 of 39

The average hourly rate paid by this client is: 

$1.59/hr Avg Hourly Rate Paid 
Member Since Sep 16, 2012

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS