Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Budgets too low

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 77

@Adnan F wrote:

HI Petra,

I've been considering bidding a rate which I think is fair. Have you been successful with a job bid when you've offered higher?

Yes, but it doesn't always work and won't work with every client.

Ace Contributor
Robbie B Member Since: Oct 30, 2015
12 of 77

Adnan F wrote:

HI Petra,

I've been considering bidding a rate which I think is fair. Have you been successful with a job bid when you've offered higher?

Thanks. 

Yes. I've bid on SEO copywriting jobs that didn't meet my rates and asked them to consider copy editing at $x rate should they need their copy professionally edited. The catch is, they need to make sure all the research is done in the copy they send. I won't include research and fact-checking in editing jobs. If you're lowering the prices, the service (IMO) needs to be reduced too. 

When it's worked, it's when the services are broken down. Like, work includes research, editing, polishing and formatting your content ready for publication. No need to hire a research assistant, a proofreader, site editor or run plagiarism checks.

That sort of thing. Most clients just want the job done and have no idea of what's all involved. When they see the different parts, it can make them think twice about their budget. 

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
13 of 77

@Debora F wrote:

Hello

I don't understand what is happening in Upwork. You allow clients paying $1.59/hr Avg Hourly Rate Paid , like a client that posted a job for Medical translation today. 

How can we, experienced and professional freelancers, work when clients are asking to work for 5 or 10 dollars, or 2 dollars/ hour.

And then, as it happened to me last week, you make my profile private because you say that I'm not hired... Of course... I will not work for 10 dollars minus 2 dollars fee = 8 dollars .... Is not worth my time.

This changed in the last year in Upwork, is a cheaper site so professionals that had a good record, like myself, have no place to work.

Why don't you ask for limits to clients, so they can't offer less than USD25 for a fixed price or USD15/hour, for example?

I know... there are freelancers that accept lower budgets (because they have no option) and clients that want to pay higher rates (not so often).

Please, check the rules for clients offering jobs so the more experienced and professionals freelancers can continue working in Upwork.  

Thank you
DF

1. Copied & pasted so it's Upwork's words, not mine: 

Upwork does not support contract rates under $3.00 per hour (including the Upwork Service fee) for hourly contracts.

If you have a current or past contract for less than $3.00 per hour, don’t worry. The minimum doesn’t apply to existing contracts. Rehires by past clients are exempt if they previously hired you at less than the current minimum. Rehires of past freelancers are also exempt if you previously hired them for less than $3.00 per hour.

2. As long as there has been business, there have forever been factions who will look for the absolute rock-bottom prices, no matter how shabby the results. Nobody HAS to utilize them. 

3. As long as there will be business, there will forever be factions who will look for the absolute rock-bottom prices, no matter how shabby the results. Nobody HAS to utilize them.

Blow past those jobs and look for the reasonably-priced ones, which are definitely there and not with unicorn status, either.

Community Leader
Debora F Member Since: Nov 3, 2010
14 of 77

The average hourly rate paid by this client is: 

$1.59/hr Avg Hourly Rate Paid 
Member Since Sep 16, 2012

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 77

re: "The average hourly rate paid by this client is: $1.59/hr Avg Hourly Rate Paid. Member Since Sep 16, 2012"

Deborah:

You are correct. The client you noticed has an average hourly rate of $1.59. This is because the client hired freelancers at lower rates before the $3.00/hour minimum was put into effect.

New clients are not able to hire at less than $3.00/hour, and new freelancer/client relationships can not be created at rates less than $3.00/hour. But it is indeed possible to find clients who have been on Upwork for many years whose average hourly rates are lower than the current mininum.

Did you have any other questions about this?

Community Guru
16 of 77

I was invited to a Job with a $ 40 budget last week. I bid $ 320 and was hired. Yes, there were people bidding to do it for $ 20. So what?

Community Guru
17 of 77

@Petra R wrote:

I was invited to a Job with a $ 40 budget last week. I bid $ 320 and was hired. Yes, there were people bidding to do it for $ 20. So what?

I'm sorry you feel defensive about it, I was stating how I operate. Smiley Sad 

Glad you're getting contracts. Smiley Happy

Community Guru
18 of 77

@Melanie H wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

Hm? I am not feeling the faintest bit defensive Smiley Happy  I was attempting to demonstrate that ignoring budget can be rather profitable.

I was actually responding to:

@Debora F wrote:

I also place my bids higher than that, but always are people ready to bid $5... so I think that Upwork has to place limits to clients to do it fair. 

Last week Upwork made my profile private because they say that I didn't work for the last weeks (it wasn´t right anyway)... of course I will not be hired if I place $120 when the client wants to pay $20 

Community Guru
19 of 77

@Petra R wrote:

@Melanie H wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

Hm? I am not feeling the faintest bit defensive Smiley Happy  I was attempting to demonstrate that ignoring budget can be rather profitable.

Ah! I see.

I totally misinterpreted the "So what?" part.

Carry on, then! And good work.

Community Guru
20 of 77

@Melanie H wrote:

Ah! I see.

I totally misinterpreted the "So what?" part.

Yeah, I didn't quote - Colpa mea!

I was responding to Debora saying "of course I will not be hired if I place $120 when the client wants to pay $20"

"So what" was meant to indicate that I don't care what anyone else quotes. I bid my price and the client can take it or leave it. What other people choose to bid is none of my business.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS