Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Budgets too low

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
21 of 77

@Melanie H wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

I was invited to a Job with a $ 40 budget last week. I bid $ 320 and was hired. Yes, there were people bidding to do it for $ 20. So what?

 

 


 

I'm sorry you feel defensive about it, I was stating how I operate. Smiley Sad 

 

Glad you're getting contracts. Smiley Happy


 What's defensive about sharing information with other freelancers about how they can make much more money than the budget states? Seems helpful to me.

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
22 of 77

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Melanie H wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

I was invited to a Job with a $ 40 budget last week. I bid $ 320 and was hired. Yes, there were people bidding to do it for $ 20. So what?

 

 


 

I'm sorry you feel defensive about it, I was stating how I operate. Smiley Sad 

 

Glad you're getting contracts. Smiley Happy


 What's defensive about sharing information with other freelancers about how they can make much more money than the budget states? Seems helpful to me.


 

That part was definitely helpful, sure.

 

The "so what?" was what threw me off. It seemed kind of odd in light of what I'd said. I had stated what worked for me (which is another way freelancers can make much more money than they thought they could, while hopefully wasting fewer connects, especially for new contractors who don't have a solid rep and stars behind them to encourage the contractor to take a chance and accept a much higher-paid contractor than they'd wanted initially), got the "so what," then Petra corrected herself...she had accidentally quoted me. So that explains that. Smiley Happy

 

 

Ace Contributor
RJ S Member Since: Jul 17, 2016
23 of 77

Petra always likes to tell people how great her world is. She has a law degree and that does make a difference.

Ace Contributor
RJ S Member Since: Jul 17, 2016
24 of 77

Or is it Tiffany that has the law degree? Doesn't matter, they are always on here telling freelancers why they are wrong about what they are thinking and why Upwork shouldn't listen to us. 

The REAL POINT is that Upwork has no right to allow ANYONE to request a US freelancer for 3 dollars an hour. There are **Edited for Community Guidelines** laws that kick in!

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
25 of 77

RJ S wrote:

Or is it Tiffany that has the law degree? Doesn't matter, they are always on here telling freelancers why they are wrong about what they are thinking and why Upwork shouldn't listen to us. 

The REAL POINT is that Upwork has no right to allow ANYONE to request a US freelancer for 3 dollars an hour. There are **Edited for Community Guidelines** laws that kick in!


The REAL POINT is that there are people here who know how to make a lot of money on Upwork. When people come to the forums complaining about how Upwork stacks the deck and makes it impossible to be successful, we try to share what we know. Some freelancers take that to heart, make changes in their business models, and thrive. Others are more committed to finding someone to blame than they are to success and don't.

 

We can't control the response. We can only offer the proven fact that it is quite possible to be very successful on Upwork if you are willing to adapt and then leave it to freelancers to decide whether they want to be successful or be right about how everything is Upwork's fault.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
26 of 77

RJ S wrote:

Petra always likes to tell people how great her world is. She has a law degree and that does make a difference.


For the record, I don't. (tell people how great my word is, or a law degree. My degree is in Business. I have studied International Criminal Law, but not for a degree, just certificates)

 

Community Leader
Debora F Member Since: Nov 3, 2010
27 of 77

I know that I can decide not to bid for low rates jobs, but I think that Upwork can consider the situation and think about rules for posting jobs. 

 

I'm asking Upwork to consider minimum rates, fixed prices and per hour. USD 3/hour is also not so logical.

 

Is not fair for more experienced and professional freelancers to find each time more jobs placing really low budgets.

 

 

 

 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
28 of 77

@Debora F wrote:

1) I'm asking Upwork to consider minimum rates, fixed prices and per hour. USD 3/hour is also not so logical.

 

2) Also, is not nice to find that Upwork hides my profile because I'm not working so often because I'm not bidding or not hired for 10 dollars in some weeks. 


 1) There are minimum rates. You need to see the $ 3.00 minimum hourly rate in context of a global marketplace. There are many people in many countries for whom it is a decent rate. People in some countries slave in inhumane conditions for 15 hours for $ 3.00. Obviously it is not for you and I, but then we don't play in that sort of market. To be honest upping the minimum rate would not affect the prices paid in the middle and upper regions, only remove the opportunities for freelancers at the bottom of the food-chain who need the money the most.It would not make clients who want to pay $ 3 an hour pay $ 25. It would make them go away and hire elsewhere.

 

2) It is not nice, no. But you can easily have it set back to public quickly enough and you work regularly enough for iit not to happen often.

 

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
29 of 77

We see the word "fair" a lot in the forums. Upwork is not in the business of being fair. They are in the business of making money. If a client only wants to pay $3/hr, then that's their decision. If Upwork puts a $5/hr minimum that client is going to go elsewhere. 

 

Also, this is business, it's not Upwork's job to be "fair". There are many, many high paying clients on the platform. There are many low paying clients on the platform. I decide who I work for and what my price is. As others have said, I also have gotten many projects where clients stated very low budgets and I convinced them I'm worth what I'm charging.

 

Again, no such thing as "Fair" in business. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
30 of 77

@Katrina B wrote:

We see the word "fair" a lot in the forums. Upwork is not in the business of being fair. They are in the business of making money. If a client only wants to pay $3/hr, then that's their decision. If Upwork puts a $5/hr minimum that client is going to go elsewhere. 

 

Also, this is business, it's not Upwork's job to be "fair". There are many, many high paying clients on the platform. There are many low paying clients on the platform. I decide who I work for and what my price is. As others have said, I also have gotten many projects where clients stated very low budgets and I convinced them I'm worth what I'm charging.

 

Again, no such thing as "Fair" in business. 


 

1. I agree that "fair" doesn't enter into it.

2. Upwork does want to make money, which is why the lower-paying jobs would seem less productive for Upwork as well as for the freelancer. Upwork is going to make less money, too. OTOH, we already know that's Upwork's minimum.

3. The OP wasn't actually even speaking of $3, but actually, lower than $2. That IS pretty surprising. But I do think she got some answers as regards that aspect. Smiley Happy 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS