cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Budgets too low

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 38

re: "The average hourly rate paid by this client is: $1.59/hr Avg Hourly Rate Paid. Member Since Sep 16, 2012"

Deborah:

You are correct. The client you noticed has an average hourly rate of $1.59. This is because the client hired freelancers at lower rates before the $3.00/hour minimum was put into effect.

New clients are not able to hire at less than $3.00/hour, and new freelancer/client relationships can not be created at rates less than $3.00/hour. But it is indeed possible to find clients who have been on Upwork for many years whose average hourly rates are lower than the current mininum.

Did you have any other questions about this?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 38

I was invited to a Job with a $ 40 budget last week. I bid $ 320 and was hired. Yes, there were people bidding to do it for $ 20. So what?

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
13 of 38

@Petra R wrote:

I was invited to a Job with a $ 40 budget last week. I bid $ 320 and was hired. Yes, there were people bidding to do it for $ 20. So what?

I'm sorry you feel defensive about it, I was stating how I operate. Smiley Sad 

Glad you're getting contracts. Smiley Happy

Community Guru
14 of 38

@Melanie H wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

Hm? I am not feeling the faintest bit defensive Smiley Happy  I was attempting to demonstrate that ignoring budget can be rather profitable.

I was actually responding to:

@Debora F wrote:

I also place my bids higher than that, but always are people ready to bid $5... so I think that Upwork has to place limits to clients to do it fair. 

Last week Upwork made my profile private because they say that I didn't work for the last weeks (it wasn´t right anyway)... of course I will not be hired if I place $120 when the client wants to pay $20 

Community Guru
15 of 38

@Petra R wrote:

@Melanie H wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

Hm? I am not feeling the faintest bit defensive Smiley Happy  I was attempting to demonstrate that ignoring budget can be rather profitable.

Ah! I see.

I totally misinterpreted the "So what?" part.

Carry on, then! And good work.

Community Guru
16 of 38

@Melanie H wrote:

Ah! I see.

I totally misinterpreted the "So what?" part.

Yeah, I didn't quote - Colpa mea!

I was responding to Debora saying "of course I will not be hired if I place $120 when the client wants to pay $20"

"So what" was meant to indicate that I don't care what anyone else quotes. I bid my price and the client can take it or leave it. What other people choose to bid is none of my business.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
17 of 38

@Melanie H wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

What's defensive about sharing information with other freelancers about how they can make much more money than the budget states? Seems helpful to me.

Community Guru
18 of 38

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Melanie H wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

What's defensive about sharing information with other freelancers about how they can make much more money than the budget states? Seems helpful to me.

That part was definitely helpful, sure.

The "so what?" was what threw me off. It seemed kind of odd in light of what I'd said. I had stated what worked for me (which is another way freelancers can make much more money than they thought they could, while hopefully wasting fewer connects, especially for new contractors who don't have a solid rep and stars behind them to encourage the contractor to take a chance and accept a much higher-paid contractor than they'd wanted initially), got the "so what," then Petra corrected herself...she had accidentally quoted me. So that explains that. Smiley Happy

Community Leader
Debora F Member Since: Nov 3, 2010
19 of 38

I know that I can decide not to bid for low rates jobs, but I think that Upwork can consider the situation and think about rules for posting jobs. 

I'm asking Upwork to consider minimum rates, fixed prices and per hour. USD 3/hour is also not so logical.

Is not fair for more experienced and professional freelancers to find each time more jobs placing really low budgets.

Community Guru
20 of 38

@Debora F wrote:

1) I'm asking Upwork to consider minimum rates, fixed prices and per hour. USD 3/hour is also not so logical.

2) Also, is not nice to find that Upwork hides my profile because I'm not working so often because I'm not bidding or not hired for 10 dollars in some weeks. 

1) There are minimum rates. You need to see the $ 3.00 minimum hourly rate in context of a global marketplace. There are many people in many countries for whom it is a decent rate. People in some countries slave in inhumane conditions for 15 hours for $ 3.00. Obviously it is not for you and I, but then we don't play in that sort of market. To be honest upping the minimum rate would not affect the prices paid in the middle and upper regions, only remove the opportunities for freelancers at the bottom of the food-chain who need the money the most.It would not make clients who want to pay $ 3 an hour pay $ 25. It would make them go away and hire elsewhere.

2) It is not nice, no. But you can easily have it set back to public quickly enough and you work regularly enough for iit not to happen often.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS