cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Budgets too low

Community Leader
Debora F Member Since: Nov 3, 2010
31 of 38

Sorry, I'm from Argentina, professional, M.Sc in Biological Chemistry...postgraduate in Science Communication... I'm as professional as you are. I don't see why I have to receive less money than you receive, because you live in "developed" countries. Really, a typical case of discrimination... maybe you are in developed countries...but that doesn´t mean developed minds! 

Thank you 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
32 of 38

@Debora F wrote:

Sorry, I'm from Argentina, professional, M.Sc in Biological Chemistry...postgraduate in Science Communication... I'm as professional as you are. I don't see why I have to receive less money than you receive, because you live in "developed" countries. Really, a typical case of discrimination... maybe you are in developed countries...but that doesn´t mean developed minds! 

Thank you 

I'm not at all sure where you got the idea that anyone posting here thought you should be paid less because they suggested that others living in countries with a lower cost of living and lower in-country earning capacity should be allowed to CHOOSE to work for rates that are acceptable for their local economy, even though western freelancers don't choose to work for those rates.

Unless you're suggesting that people struggling to earn a living should be blocked from negotiating their own rates, even if those rates are lower than you would like for yourself, then your response here is in no way relevant to this discussion, nor responsive to anything that's been said here.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
33 of 38

@Debora F wrote:

1) I don't see why I have to receive less money than you receive, because you live in "developed" countries.

2) Really, a typical case of discrimination...

1) Nobody says you "have to receive less money" - the whole point was that you are free to set your price and your rate any which way you like provided you can sell your offers at that price. It is called "running your own business" - the point was that just as you are free o set your prices and rates how you like, so is everyone else, whether that is higher or lower than what you are offering.

2)  Not at all. That's abject nonsense, and quite the opposite happens to be the case. If anything, the suggestion to remove some people's only chance to make money at all just to suit your own purposes is discriminatory as you want them to end up with nothing in the mistaken belief that you'd end up with more if they can no longer feed their children.

Community Leader
Debora F Member Since: Nov 3, 2010
34 of 38

Thank you 

Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
BEST ANSWER
35 of 38

The good thing about Upwork is that we don't have to apply for jobs that we don't want.

I don't know how it is for other freelancers in other markets than mine, but even with an hourly rate on my profile that are higher than most I still get enough jobs. And there are plenty of writers charging way more than me. For some my rates might seem way to low. The funny thing is that the more I raise my rate, the better jobs I get. I just raised my rates form $60 to $80, and two days later I got an invite for a job paying me more than my rate.

The point is that you need to target the right market, and ignore the low paying jobs that you don't want. I'm sure a lot of clients are not even looking at my profile when they see my rates, but then again those are not clients I want to work for anyway. And as Petra said, I have also gotten jobs where I bid way more than the budget.

These are my stats, and as you can see you don't have to lower your rates to get work here. No matter what other freelancers are bidding.
Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 18.27.41.png

36 of 38

@Eve L wrote:

The good thing about Upwork is that we don't have to apply for jobs that we don't want.

The funny thing is that the more I raise my rate, the better jobs I get.

That!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
37 of 38

All,

A few posts have been removed from this thread as they were inappropriate for this Community.

Please, be mindful of the Community Guidelines and respectful towards other members when posting on these boards.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Luis d Member Since: Jun 12, 2018
38 of 38

Hi Debora.

I actually came to the forum because I was feeling a bit angry as well since I've been seeing, for the past few weeks, some absurd offers that totally degrate my profession.

I can understand that Upwork is a free market site and there are indeed some basic limits regarding rates but I totally agree that, depending on what the client asks and the complexity of the tasks involved, there should be some sort of filters before they can actually release an offer.

For example, there was a guy asking to do complete soud post production services for movies and his fixed price was $90...yes, for a whole movie...REALLY? I wouldn't even waste my time on bidding on this for the right value, which should be somewhere around $2000 to $3000 at least.

Anyways, I completely understand your frustration. It's great that there can be opportunities for new / unexperienced freelancers but, as a platform, there should be more attention to these details and be careful not to devalue our professions.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS