Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Budgets too low

Ace Contributor
Robbie B Member Since: Oct 30, 2015
71 of 77

Christine A wrote:

Robbie B wrote:

...it makes no sense inviting freelancers from US, UK, Canada, Australia, etc with a high cost of living. Besides, there are legal minimum wages.  

Based on my 19 years of experience bidding on freelance websites, I've made my own observations about which country has the highest proportion of cheapskate clients and low-bidding freelancers. I can't say which one because I'll be "edited for community guidelines" (plus there are definitely exceptions to my general rule) - I'll just say that it's not one of the developing countries that Americans are always complaining about. (It might even be one of the countries that you've mentioned above.)

I can guess Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
72 of 77

Robbie B wrote:

I'm with Luis on the filters here. There should be something in place telling clients the minimum hire amount by country. If a budget is listed for $50 and the works going to take 10 hours, it makes no sense inviting freelancers from US, UK, Canada, Australia, etc with a high cost of living. Besides, there are legal minimum wages. 

I'm in the UK and I was invited by another UK business looking for freelancers to work for $3 (less than £2.50 per hour) because they didn't have the budget to

hire part-time staff.

I can understand businesses being affected by government-enforced wage schemes, but UpWork shouldn't be a way for companies to flout the laws. 

If only UpWork could put their tech's to work creating an average earnings filter by country so clients can go to the right places with their low budgets.

"It appears your budget is below this countries average earnings threshold. You may consider hiring freelancers in this region". 

There are minimum wages *for employees*. We are not employees. We are business owners.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
73 of 77

Adding to Wendy and Melanie's comments, very few of us can rely solely on Upwork for income; in fact, it would be foolhardy to do so.

There are far too many freelancers here who are determined to remain in the "employee" mindset and there are far too many clients who do not understand the concept of "freelancing" - a misunderstanding that is not corrected by Upwork. 

Ace Contributor
Robbie B Member Since: Oct 30, 2015
74 of 77

Melanie H wrote:

There are minimum wages *for employees*. We are not employees. We are business owners.

In the UK there are benefits available for self-employed contractors if the income drops below a threshold. That only applies if you meet a Minimum Income Floor, which is based on the minimum wage multiplied by the hours worked. I've had the misfortune of claiming when I was off sick. Quite tricky.

I don't know how others quote. I judge the job by the hours I think it will take, add in a buffer in case it goes by then add roughly 20% to cover for when I am off. Even then, that buffer hasn't always been enough. And that's not limiting my work to Upwork. I've clients away from here too. So, I wouldn't say it's a mindset thing between employee and business owner. It's just that, eh, I have the odd days with brain farts and math is out the window. 

Ace Contributor
RJ S Member Since: Jul 17, 2016
75 of 77

Ha. That remains to be seen. Upwork has a ton of "rules" that you are required to abide by. California is now debating how those rules work and whether or not they decree that you are an employee. My personal take is that if they can withhold payment from you, if they can withhold your funds in any way, if they can tell you what to do in any way, they are an employer. ONLY state and federal agencies tell businesses what to do. Otherwise, you are an employee. good luck, Upwork. You will need it.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
76 of 77

RJ S wrote:

Ha. That remains to be seen. Upwork has a ton of "rules" that you are required to abide by. California is now debating how those rules work and whether or not they decree that you are an employee. My personal take is that if they can withhold payment from you, if they can withhold your funds in any way, if they can tell you what to do in any way, they are an employer. ONLY state and federal agencies tell businesses what to do. Otherwise, you are an employee. good luck, Upwork. You will need it.

My bank sometimes puts a hold on my account, as does PayPal (because I move around a lot). They also have a lot of rules that I'm required to abide by. So are they my employers, according to your criteria?

Upwork doesn't hire you to do jobs, nor do they pay you - your clients do that. So no, they are not your employer.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
77 of 77

Hi all,

I'd like to note that a few comments have been edited and removed from this thread in line with our Community Guidelines.

Also, since the conversation, unfortunately, went into a different direction in the last few pages, with comments becoming repetitive, more personal and inflammatory, I'm closing it for new replies. Thank you all for your valuable participation.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS