cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buggy messaging system is seriously impacting my ability to work--anyone else?

Highlighted
Savannah M Member Since: Apr 9, 2015
1 of 4

I've been working through Odesk for a good two years or so now, and I swear I haven't had as many problems as I have had in the past week since the changes to the site have been implemented.

The frustrating thing is that every time I report an issue, I get a brush-off of "I know it's very frustrating but..." and then hear nothing for hours or days about what even is happening--or whether it's an issue specific to me or a site-wide issue (I'm starting to assume it's site-wide).

The most recent one this evening was that an attachment in a message from a client--the entire premise and guidelines of the assignment--is giving me an "access forbidden" error. Apparently, according to chat, this is a site-wide issue, with no ETA at ALL as to when or even whether it would be fixed. In point of fact I was advised by the chat rep to just have my client email or dropbox me needed files until they can get it back up.

Question for the folks at Odesk: if I'm using my personal email ANYWAY, with clients I have worked with for months or even years, what point is there in actually using the site at all? 

These recurring issues are making me seriously, seriously consider withdrawing from the site and taking my clients with me, as well as dissuading other friends I have who freelance from joining in the first place. 

It would be easier to have faith in the site if issues such as these were handled better. Get on the ball, Odesk folks: since you're apparently going to be having issues galore, find a better way of dealing with them, please.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 4

Hi Savannah,

I am sorry about the frustration this is causing you. We had an issue with attachments in the Message center that affected a number of users but was fixed. However, since you are still experiencing problems opening attachments, we have followed up with the Engineering Team to check it for you. They are working as quickly as possible to have it fixed.

Thank you for your patience!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Savannah M Member Since: Apr 9, 2015
3 of 4

I'm interested in hearing more about this follow-up, since as I'm sure you can guess, I have as yet heard nothing at all about it directly.

As I said in my previous post: the issue is not just with buggy messaging systems; it's the fact that when things go wrong I'm essentially brushed off with a scripted "I'm sorry for your frustration" and then zilch in terms of actual information. No ETA on when I can expect any problems fixed, no follow up until after it's resolved--which is sometimes DAYS later. A courtesy "we're working on this, and we estimate that it might take a couple of days" and updates would be vastly, vastly appreciated.

Highlighted
Delilah G Member Since: Oct 14, 2015
4 of 4

Yes, this site functions horribly. Much of the day, it is completely unusable. This has been going on for months.

I have a question for staff...

How can you expect your company to be taken seriously when your website fails to function properly, effectively rendering your services useless? 

I will be surprised if the website functions enough for this reply to be posted.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS