Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Bummed, but should I be?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nikki G Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
1 of 30

I recently completed a project for a client who gave me an AWESOME review, much longer than what most clients leave...but he left less than a 5-star rating.

 

I'm trypically used to getting 5 stars and found myself a bit bummed by the score. He said he'd like to work with me in the future, but I'm scared to because I don't want him to give me anything lower than a 5. 

 

Am I I wrong for feeling that way? Also, will anything lower than a 5 lower my JSS?

 

Prior to JSS, I would have just brushed it off and moved on to the next project.

 

But I find myself analyzing over what I could have done wrong. Darn you, JSS! LOL.

 

Thanks,

Nikki

Highlighted
Active Member
Yousif A Member Since: Feb 13, 2016
2 of 30

Hey, I'm unsure as to what effect it will has on yours JSS (Though I assume it shouldn't have any?) but I'd suggest you contact the client and ask him/her to give you feedback on your score (If it really matters to you!). If they gave you anything less than five, there has to be a reason for that. Rather than concerning yourself too much with the score, try to find the reason and it shouldn't happen again Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 30

lol no, don't contact the client. You look like a desperate insecure whiner.

 

Some people never give perfect scores. Move on.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nikki G Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
4 of 30

I agree, Jennifer.

 

It was a 4.8, but I'm just moving on. Unfortunately, despite his rave review and because of the nature of Upwork ever since JSS, I will likely avoid future work with him.

 

Clients don't realize how crucial ratings are to our livlihood on this platform.

 

As for Yousif's comment, "If they gave you anything less than five, there has to be a reason for that.."

 

Nah...I don't think so. LOL. 

 

I've actually had some clients say they don't give 5 stars...makes no sense to me. Oh, well...a 4.8 every once in a while is to be expected I suppose.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 30

The problem with clients is they can poop all over you and you have to find a way to deal with it. However you deal with it. It's something harder to deal with when you're used to corporate where all they want to do is "foster your success." Clients don't care you or your success or if you're growing or any of the other stuff corporate tries to blow up your skirt. 

 

I got an invite yesterday from a chick who gives 1-3 stars to all of her freelancers. Definitely wasn't going to bid on her gig.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 30

@Nikki G wrote:

I agree, Jennifer.

 

 

 

I've actually had some clients say they don't give 5 stars...makes no sense to me. Oh, well...a 4.8 every once in a while is to be expected I suppose.


 It always surprises me how often clients (including other platforms, since I'm new here) DO give a perfect rating.  To me, the best person you've ever worked with on a given type of project is a 5. Anyone else who does a great job but doesn't parallel that experience is something a little bit less.  And, it would be surprising if many people were actually a perfect 5 in each of the categories listed--usually when I work with a contractor he or she has strengths and weaknesses, rather than being equally good at timeliness, communication, quality of work, etc.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
7 of 30

@Nikki G wrote:

I recently completed a project for a client who gave me an AWESOME review, much longer than what most clients leave...but he left less than a 5-star rating.

 

I'm trypically used to getting 5 stars and found myself a bit bummed by the score. He said he'd like to work with me in the future, but I'm scared to because I don't want him to give me anything lower than a 5. 

 

Am I I wrong for feeling that way? Also, will anything lower than a 5 lower my JSS?

 

Prior to JSS, I would have just brushed it off and moved on to the next project.

 

But I find myself analyzing over what I could have done wrong. Darn you, JSS! LOL.

 

Thanks,

Nikki


I could have written this exact post, word for word, down to your exact concerns about the JSS.  I got my first less than 5 this past week at a 4.85, with good comments and it stressed me out because of the JSS. Smiley Sad 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nikki G Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
8 of 30

Jessica...

 

Have you noticed if your JSS was impacted...or is it too soon to tell?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
9 of 30

Ok, so now 4.8 or 4.85 is a bad score. Are you guys serious? :-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
10 of 30

@Rene K wrote:

Ok, so now 4.8 or 4.85 is a bad score. Are you guys serious? :-)


Not really but yes because of the JSS impact which will always be unknown.  

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS