Did you mean: 

Bummed, but should I be?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
11 of 30

@Nikki G wrote:

Jessica...

Have you noticed if your JSS was impacted...or is it soon to tell?

Just happened this past week. Will find out next Sunday. I worry more about the private feedback on that one because if public feedback wasn't a 5 then private feedback isn't likely a 10. But, I also had a client switch credit cards on me - so he closed a contract and asked for a refund before opening a different one. And I closed like 4-5 others too. So...per usual... whatever happens will remain a mystery because I have no idea what affects what despite what people try to guess is true. The non-transparency of it all is what kills me.  

Maybe we can share experiences next week... Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
12 of 30

Did you enjoy working with this client? Did they pay you quickly? Was the work interesting? Were there any communication issues (such as no replies from him.). Was this client easy to work with?

When you answer those questions, then you'll know whether to work with him again or not. Personally, stars don't pay my bills, money does.

Highlighted
Community Guru
13 of 30

@Kathy T wrote:

Did you enjoy working with this client? Did they pay you quickly? Was the work interesting? Were there any communication issues (such as no replies from him.). Was this client easy to work with?

When you answer those questions, then you'll know whether to work with him again or not. Personally, stars don't pay my bills, money does.

I wouldn't likely work with the client again even if all answers were yes. Since the impact to the JSS is unknown. I can't afford to have a low JSS because a low JSS won't bring the work that pays the bills.  

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nikki G Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
14 of 30

Exactly!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 30

Focus on money, not stars. I had a client recently try to bait and switch me. Yeah, good luck buddy. I'm sure I was rated a 1. Don't currrr. Want my money.

Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 30

@Jennifer M wrote:

Focus on money, not stars. I had a client recently try to bait and switch me. Yeah, good luck buddy. I'm sure I was rated a 1. Don't currrr. Want my money.

That's exactly what I am doing. One client, who didn't give 5 stars isn't the issue, necessarily although who knows how that impacts your JSS but it's the unknown private feedback that concerns me. If they give less than 5 stars in public feedback, then they weren't 100% satisfied so private feedback could be low and they were just being "nice" in public feedback. I'll never know though but it's a risk I'm not willing to take.  If I want to make money, unfortunately I have to concentrate on my JSS - that's (sadly) how this site works. A 4.85 wouldn't bother me much otherwise. One repeat client, like this, isn't worth the many, many other jobs I could potentially not get if this one client drives my score down because I keep doing jobs for her.

What you are saying applies to the real world, not Upworks all mysterious JSS world.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
17 of 30

If you are confident in what you do, you will average out the crap reviews. I expect my JSS to drop but at the same time, I have others who have rated me well.

The killer for me is long term contracts where the customer keeps adding milestones. It's great for money, but inevitably I will do something wrong. Longterm contracts look good but then that 1 mistake kills you. For instance, I have this one customer who has been with me for 3-4 weeks. He throws me about $100/day in work, which is great. We've been doing swimmingly but ran into a roadblock this week where he's not crazy about what I've done. So, this 1 bad experience might kill my review when he's finally done even though he's been happy up until now. 

So, longterm contracts are great for money, but sometimes they can sting you. But for the most part, if you focus on money and doing a good job, the JSS will follow.

I'm trying to get into the Writer's Pro group and I guess they want a 90% JSS. So now I really care about it. I'm not confident in my next JSS update though.

It really does suck on some levels. I don't think 1 review should kill your score. I think the only way to combat it is to have a good history of good scores.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nikki G Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
18 of 30

I applied to the writers pro group a few days ago. I've yet to hear back anything. 😢

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
19 of 30

I get mainly 5 stars, but the occasional 4.8, 4.6... However, these clients invariably also give a glowing written review. So I'm happy with that, and allow the client their prerogative not to give a perfect 5 score. The alternative is to call for a system where there is only either a Perfect 5 stars or a bad anything less than 5 stars. And this is the exact reason why they say they introduced the JSS in the first place, because of the ever-increasing assumption that only a perfect 5 counts.

So I usually take my 4.8s and 4.6s on the chin, and if I like the client may well work with them again. However, if they're small jobs, ungrateful or uncommunicative clients, etc, then I can suddenly become very busy.

Highlighted
Community Guru
20 of 30

@Stephen B wrote:

I get mainly 5 stars, but the occasional 4.8, 4.6... However, these clients invariably also give a glowing written review. So I'm happy with that, and allow the client their prerogative not to give a perfect 5 score. The alternative is to call for a system where there is only either a Perfect 5 stars or a bad anything less than 5 stars. 

This "perfect 5 is what you should get and anything less is bad" is exactly what Upwork created with the JSS scores.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS