Ace Contributor
Nikki G Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
21 of 30

Dang! We think exactly alike. Lol

nikkigaskins
Ace Contributor
22 of 30

In a way stars and JSS CAN impact your ability to make money on this platform despite whether the client was easy to work with or not. Clients don't realize the huge impact they have on our ability to make money on here.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
23 of 30

I don't want to disillusion anyone unnecessarily but when it comes to JSS, all assumptions are suspect. It's generally understood among freelancers who have pondered JSS & the relative importance of private feedback (clients who would recommend you) and public feedback (star rating) that a low private feedback (meaning anything less than 9) in combination with a 5 star public feedback can damage JSS, and that some clients do indeed give 5 stars publicly but a low public feedback, perhaps in order to avoid the stigma of being perceived as a client who gives low feedback. That being the case, I think a feedback score such as 4.85 probably reflects a decent private feedback score, because clients who give 5 stars publicly and baskstab freelancers privately are probably not devious enough to give 4.85 public feedback.

If anyone thinks this is far-fetched, then consider why it is that there are many freelancers who bemoan the fact that they have high star ratings and rather low JSS -- a likely explanation is that their clients frequently gave low private feedback while giving much higher public feedback; either that, or they traded higher public feedback for refunds, a tactic that's known to backfire on the JSS.

Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
24 of 30

@John K wrote:

I don't want to disillusion anyone unnecessarily but when it comes to JSS, all assumptions are suspect. It's generally understood among freelancers who have pondered JSS & the relative importance of private feedback (clients who would recommend you) and public feedback (star rating) that a low private feedback (meaning anything less than 9) in combination with a 5 star public feedback can damage JSS, and that some clients do indeed give 5 stars publicly but a low public feedback, perhaps in order to avoid the stigma of being perceived as a client who gives low feedback. That being the case, I think a feedback score such as 4.85 probably reflects a decent private feedback score, because clients who give 5 stars publicly and baskstab freelancers privately are probably not devious enough to give 4.85 public feedback.

If anyone thinks this is far-fetched, then consider why it is that there are many freelancers who bemoan the fact that they have high star ratings and rather low JSS -- a likely explanation is that their clients frequently gave low private feedback while giving much higher public feedback; either that, or they traded higher public feedback for refunds, a tactic that's known to backfire on the JSS.

Then how does this model work when freelancers have NO idea why their scores are low? How do they improve? It's like a passive aggressive underhanded business model. 

david_gregory
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
25 of 30

I understand exactly what you are going through. I just had two contracts close where I got less than five. One client just gave me fours all the way down and then the other gave me fours in most of the categories. They left decent comments and stated that they would like to work with me again but I would probably be hesitant to do so. I know ratings don't pay the bills, but ratings do have an effect on my ability to get more work. I wouldn't knowingly take a job where I think I will get a lower rating.

I think the hardest part is not understanding why you get a lower rating. I never argue about people rating me for quality or skill because that's subjective but I hate it when clients rate me lower for things like deadlines, availability, communication or cooperation. I have never missed a deadline, always respond to emails within 24 hours and do my best to meet the client's needs.

I think the one client marked me lower in four categories because I negotiated a higher rate of pay and a longer deadline since I couldn't meet her original deadline (all done before being hired). I met all the new terms and even beat the deadline, but she still marked me lower on deadlines and availability. If you agree to my terms, you shouldn't mark me lower because I negotiated something different from the initial terms. If the client doesn't like my terms, just hire someone else. I've actually been hit with lower scores for deadlines a number of times now even though I meet the deadline--it's just a new deadline that I negotiated with the client before being hired.

Anyway, I never contact the client and ask why I was rated the way I was or ask the client to change it. I try to shrug it off but I hate having those two jobs at the top of my list (particularly after having mainly fives all the way down). We'll see if I remain top rated after the score is updated.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
26 of 30

I have a lot of five star reviews but some less than that.  You can't please everyone.  You are a freelanceer, don't let it get you down.  Every smart client knows a perfect 5 star feedback is B.S.  and that is the clients you want to work with because they are serious business people that know you can't please everyone.

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
27 of 30

I said "The alternative is to call for a system where there is only either a Perfect 5 stars or a bad anything less than 5 stars. And this is the exact reason why they say they introduced the JSS in the first place, because of the ever-increasing assumption that only a perfect 5 counts".

Jessica said "This perfect 5 is what you should get and anything less is bad" is exactly what Upwork created with the JSS scores"

So they've launched us into a circular spiral of doom...

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
28 of 30

Jessica asked, "Then how does this model work when freelancers have NO idea why their scores are low? How do they improve? It's like a passive aggressive underhanded business model. "

Precisely, and I've done my share of critiquing JSS in Upwork Community. So, paraphrasing the AA prayer, I think freelancers should focus on things they can control and accept things they cannot, such as JSS. For me, that means doing the best work I'm capable of doing, pretty much. I'm lucky enough to have had a decent JSS from the outset, but I NEVER take it for granted, and I commend anyone who challenges it and proposes improvements, even though I fear such efforts will prove futile.

Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
29 of 30

It's easy to say “forget about stars and JSS", but with some clients, these factors mean the difference between a rejection and a hire.

I always feel unecessarily hurt when I get less than 5 stars, even though - if I'm being honest about it - I know that I can never truly do a perfect job.

The criteria of Quality and Skills are always subjective, but I have gone back to clients who have unfairly marked me low on points such as Deadlines and Availability, because some things do deserve 5 stars. And if they don't have a good explanation for the score, I don't work with them again.

Anyway, to address your concern, no - I don't think less than 5 stars will impact your score. Last month, 2 or 3 contracts of mine ended with less than 5 stars and since then, my JSS has gone up / stayed the same.

Nikki, your work history is great and I think potential clients will take notice of the long lovely review he wrote rather than the rating.

*Edited to add: one of my best and longest written reviews on Upwork came from a client who left me 4.55 stars on the same contract. But to be fair, I didn't always meet his deadlines Smiley Sad

nikkigaskins
Ace Contributor
30 of 30

@Isabelle....your post makes me feel a little better. 😊 We will see what happens when the JSS updates shortly.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS