🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Burning through connects like never before, e...
Page options
trevor_lowe
Community Member

Burning through connects like never before, even lower response rate than ever, pracically null.

I have never had a problem getting a job on UpWork, but ever since the virus started I have had trouble. I am Top Rated at 100% success with a video profile and tons of very satisfied reviews. Considering I have submitted 60 proposals the past couple of weeks you would think I got a job, not true.

Now every job posting has 3-6 questions along with all clients wanting a custom proposal. I have spent over $50+ on connections the past 2 weeks. It seems like every client posting is inundated with applications and wants everyone to take 10 minutes out of there day to answer there spam preventing questions.

The client is absolutely scared to hire anyone and second I tell them this project will cost more than $100 I suddenly get no response whatsoever. This is not fair for UpWorks freelancers and I am started to get shocked by how much money UpWork gets when I am not even making any money because they cannot place the proper system to prevent these problems. Clients are getting entirely too picky in these times which makes it even harder than ever to get a response. 

I am proposing to develop a better system to fix these problems. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
9b660019
Community Member

Interesting, given your recent response to another freelancer a few weeks ago.

Trevor L wrote:

If you submit 40 proposals with not a single job offer, you are doing it wrong.

Yes, COVID-19 has made it harder for many of us to find work. Clients are reducing expenditures and putting projects on hold due to the global economic uncertainty at the same time when more people are turning to platforms like Upwork due to economic uncertainties of their own. Fewer total jobs divided among a larger pool of freelancers means each freelancer gets a smaller number of jobs.

If you have ideas for a truly better way to operate a platform like this, I'd suggest keeping them to yourself and building your own competing platform. It will be more profitable for you, and the competition will put more pressure on Upwork to change than discussions on their forums.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
9b660019
Community Member

Trevor L wrote:

Yes, COVID-19 has made it harder for many of us to find work. Clients are reducing expenditures and putting projects on hold due to the global economic uncertainty at the same time when more people are turning to platforms like Upwork due to economic uncertainties of their own. Fewer total jobs divided among a larger pool of freelancers means each freelancer gets a smaller number of jobs.

If you have ideas for a truly better way to operate a platform like this, I'd suggest keeping them to yourself and building your own competing platform. It will be more profitable for you, and the competition will put more pressure on Upwork to change than discussions on their forums.

Adam A wrote:

Trevor L wrote:

Nicely put. 

petra_r
Community Member

Trevor L wrote:

Considering I have submitted 60 proposals the past couple of weeks you would think I got a job, not true.

I am proposing to develop a better system to fix these problems. 

Let me sum this up...

When it happens to others, you declare it to be their fault.

you are doing it wrong.png

When it happens to you, you demand Upwork fix the economy, stamp out Coronavirus, save the whales, cure cancer, repair the hole in the ozone layer and make it all good for you again.

9b660019
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Let me sum this up...

When it happens to others, you declare it to be their fault.

When it happens to you, you demand Upwork fix the economy, stamp out Coronavirus and make it all good for you again.

I'm reminded of a joke I read some time ago.

"A recession is when your neighbor loses their job, a depression is when you lose your job, and a panic is when your spouse loses their job."

It's all a matter of personal perspective.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members