🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Business Tax Info
Page options
6d0bf254
Community Member

Business Tax Info

Hi everybody!

I am new to Upwork and need to know how this W-9 stuff works. I am required to have a business license in my state, so I have one, but there is no place to put the info into my upwork account. I can only find information on this from 2016 and 2019, so I need current information.

On my profile there is no section for business information and the tax section only asks for two things, neither of which mention business information. Do I put my business name as my "Legal Name"? Or is there some other page I am not finding? Not sure if this is important, but I have not yet gotten/completed a job. Will other information present itself once I do? 

Thank you! 

Dallas

1 REPLY 1
NikolaS

Hi Dallas,

Thank you for reaching out to us. To provide Upwork with your Form W-9 please follow the steps below.

1. Go to Settings  Tax Information
  2. Provide us with your:
    • Legal Name – Your own name, or your business name if you're filing as a company entity
    • Address – Where Upwork will mail your Form 1099-K or other tax forms, if necessary
    • Filing Status – Type of IRS tax filing you will use for earnings
    • Taxpayer Identification Number – TIN type and # you will use for your IRS tax filing

You can find more information in this help article. Additionally, one of our agents will follow up with you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members