cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business documents.

evertri
Evert R Member Since: Aug 24, 2016
1 of 15

Hey, I'm a new member here and I received my first job offer today. The onboarding process requires me to hand in some business documents, however I don't have any of those. I don't have a buisness . What in the world should I do? 

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
2 of 15

Evert, what documents are they asking for? There is no reason that a client would need documentation from you on the platform. 

ETA: There have been scams that prey on new freelancers. The "client" asks for sensitive personal information like bank accounts, tax numbers, home address. Be wary of anyone asking for your personal information. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 15

What kind of business documents?

I have done over 90 jobs on Upwork. Nobody ever asked me for "business documents".

Unless you're talking about an NDA or something...

evertri
4 of 15

Freelancer is requested to upload (document or image) at least 2 of the following items to verify their business further. If the Freelancer is a Company, either the Owner or Administrator of the Company account is required to provide the additional business verification documents. Please provide 2 or more of the following documents: 1. Business license 2. Proof of status as a LLC, corporation, private limited company or other entity, such as articles of organization, certificate of incorporation, or online registration summary 3. Registration with any tax, social security or other agency as an independent contractor, sole trader, private entrepreneur, or other self-employed individual 4. Proof of registration of a business name (dba), such as a fictitious business name statement, registration of trade name, or certificate of assumed name

ETC

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 15

This is the standard onboarding process for many Enterprise clients and private talent clouds.

It should be explained quite clearly on the onboarding page or the emails you received.

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
6 of 15

@Petra R wrote:

This is the standard onboarding process for many Enterprise clients and private talent clouds.

It should be explained quite clearly on the onboarding page or the emails you received.

Absolutely true. But, I think a new freelancer with no job history is more likely to have a scam offer than an Enterprise or Talent Cloud offer. Would be lovely if it were Enterprise or TC, though! 

evertri
7 of 15

True indeed. The offer is from **Edited for Community Guidelines**

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
8 of 15

I'm so glad it wasn't a scam! 

I am interested in the answer, though. I've also seen situations for talent clouds where a freelancer's job history is proof enough for their compliance team to determine that they are self-employed. For newer freelancers I'm not sure how that would be proven. 

evertri
9 of 15

Yes it is well explained! I just don't have any off those documents since I've never done that kind of business. 

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
10 of 15

Hi Evert, 

Once you accept the contract, you will be directed to a page where you can upload business documents. There will be a list of documents that will be required of you to submit and you can choose to submit any of the listed documents. 

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS