🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Buyer Wrong Feedback
Page options
qasim_webdev
Community Member

Buyer Wrong Feedback

Hello 

I hope you guys are doing great, I'm a Website developer and  would like to ask how can we request Upwork to ask the client to change the feedback. Here is what's my problem is ...

The Bacground : 

I have done 6 jobs with 5/5 rating having 100% JSS, and I got one repeat client for further work, we decided to do this job in $40 , I delivered work ( that he accepted )and he released only 10$ as first Milestone ( I was Surprised because expecting $40 to be delivered after the job  ).

The Problem 
Then he asked me to make a new web page with similar elements, I shared him that this is a new page with different structure and design so I will do this in half price $20 ( because only elements were same but I have to develop the structure from scratch  ).

He got angry, and told me to finish the previous job, and left with 3.8 Rating for no reason. Which directly means he did not understand the value of time and effort we put in coding.
( One more thing to add, I also asked for hourly contract in start but he refused  because he knews already that his budget is less and work is more )

And after two days this thing droped my rating from 100% JSS to 83% JSS.  

I want to know how can we tackle these types of clients, as I want to continue freelance my journey with Good reputation.

An expert Recommendation would highly be appreciated.
Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "would like to ask how can we request Upwork to ask the client to change the feedback"

You can do that yourself. Here is how to do that:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068458-Enable-Clients-to-Change-Feedback

It is not Upwork's intention that you ask them to change feedback.

It is not Upwork's intention that you contact Upwork Customer Support to ask them ask the client to change feedback. If you want a client to change feedback, you may ask the client yourself.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "would like to ask how can we request Upwork to ask the client to change the feedback"

You can do that yourself. Here is how to do that:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068458-Enable-Clients-to-Change-Feedback

It is not Upwork's intention that you ask them to change feedback.

It is not Upwork's intention that you contact Upwork Customer Support to ask them ask the client to change feedback. If you want a client to change feedback, you may ask the client yourself.

I have enabled client to change the feedback but he did not.

I understand that its not the upwork intention to sk buyers for such cases.

But, 

The JSS dropped from 100$ to 83% just because of 1 bad feedback at once and whole reputation falls doen ( which  I feel, the buyers intention is wrong)

and I'm sitting empty handed , that we cannot even claim for bad and wrong feedbacks.

Well, Preston H, Thanks for your honest response.

Really appreciate you put your time to share me with the facts.

Thanks

What you can do is go to that contract and under Feedback below Client's feedback to you you can find a button Respond to this feedback. You can tell your side of the story and It will be displayed publicly on your profile.

Yes, this is exactly what I did....... but sadly,this does not change the JSS that is dropped at once.

But
I hope to maintain that again in the future.....

Thank you very much for your time to make me understand it more better.

re: "I hope to maintain that again in the future."

Yes. That can happen.

You are concerned about a job with 3.8 feedback.

I have had feedback like that. And I currently have 100% JSS.

Yes, I was also concerned about JSS, because this is what shows our Reputation and trust to the client ... 

But Yes, You gave me a hope by sharing your own experience, and hopefully I will also get this back to 100% JSS, by completing future jobs sooner.

Thanks 

Muhammad Q wrote:

Yes, this is exactly what I did....... but sadly,this does not change the JSS that is dropped at once.

You wanted to defend yourself. That's a natural impulse you need to learn how to repress. 

Think like a client: you are looking for a freelancer for your task. You see a profile cluttered with a long-winded response to a client's feedback. Are you reading it? Are you interested in playing referee? Are you interested in bickering between a client and freelancer?

Of course you are not. You will skip this profile and go to the next one, which is hopefully drama-free. 

In short, responding to a client's feedback is never a good idea. Instead of reading your good reviews, you fill up your space with petty bickering. Not good optics. 

Your basic choice is: do you want to be right and defend yourself, or do you want a better looking profile?

aaa.... Silence for a moment ..... Yes,I think you are right .....  A better profile is the priority.

I think I understand what mistake I made, I should not give the feedback of client review ...

Can I remove that feedback now? to make my profile clear and better .... or any thing ....

You really helped, thanks to you!

Muhammad Q wrote:

aaa.... Silence for a moment ..... Yes,I think you are right .....  A better profile is the priority.

I think I understand what mistake I made, I should not give the feedback of client review ...

Can I remove that feedback now? to make my profile clear and better .... or any thing ....

You really helped, thanks to you!

Happy to help! As for the technical question if it can be removed, I don't know. Maybe a moderator or another freelancer can help with this.

Sure, I see if I can do this at my side.

Thanks a lot for your time and honest opinion.
Would try to impress myself next time and understand it more as a client side.

Muhammad Q wrote:

If you're asking if a freelancer's response to feedback can be removed, the answer is yes. Contact support with your request and tell them the client name and contract id.

To the best of my knowledge, they'll remove your response, although it'll still show "response was removed." IE people reading your profile will still know you said something back to the client which had to be removed, although they won't know why.

I guess you can't have your cake and eat it.

Tawanda M wrote: although it'll still show "response was removed."

Edited as it seems this is no longer the case.

No, it won't. It'll just vanish.

Petra R wrote:

Tawanda M wrote: although it'll still show "response was removed."

No, it won't. It'll just vanish.

Hum, that's weird. I asked UW to remove a response I made after I had the chance to cool down, and the place where the response was has been replaced by:

""This feedback response has been removed.""

Tawanda M wrote:

Hum, that's weird. I asked UW to remove a response I made after I had the chance to cool down, and the place where the response was has been replaced by:

""This feedback response has been removed.""

Strange! I have seen responses removed without it but you are right, on yours it does say ""This feedback response has been removed.""

Might be a change I wasn't aware of!

Aleksa J wrote:

What you can do is go to that contract and under Feedback below Client's feedback to you you can find a button Respond to this feedback. You can tell your side of the story and It will be displayed publicly on your profile.

Always a bad idea. 

Hello @Martina P, I would like to ask how is it a bad idea ?
if its bad, then what shoudl we do in this situation ?

Kindly share your expert opinions....

"I also asked for hourly contract in start but he refused  because he knews already that his budget is less and work is more" 

You knew this client did  not value your time, yet you still chose to work with him. Take a lesson from this experience and do not accept an offer that doesn't meet your standards. Be particularly cautious when you have just a few contracts as each one will have a powerful impact on your JSS.

In situations where a client is beginning to be difficult. Try to close any open contracts before you address their bad behavior. Get the feedback for that contract locked in and then resign. 

petra_r
Community Member

Muhammad Q wrote:

I'm a Website developer and  would like to ask how can we request Upwork to ask the client to change the feedback.

You can't. Thankfully, Upwork don't get involved in squabbles over feedback.

You can ask the client to change their feedback (which is an unprofessional and inappropriate thing to do in most cases) but that wouldn't fix your JSS as this is mostly or completely determined by the client's private feedback, which can't be changed at all.

Muhammad Q wrote:

I want to know how can we tackle these types of clients, as I want to continue freelance my journey with Good reputation.

By choosing clients carefully and setting up and managing contracts professionally. You need to learn to not accept contracts until scope is nailed down and the amount agreed is properly funded. 

The worst part of that contract isn't the 3.8 feedback, which has no verbal feedback saying anything bad about you, it's your long response to that feedback, which doesn't even show on the client's profile and makes you look like a freelancer to avoid to other clients. Many clients would completely ignore one 3.8 star contract, but will actually decide against going anmy further purely based on that response. 

It also sounds petty and disingenious, considering you left the client glowing feedback, so one or the other was dishonest. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members