🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Buying books from Amazon and then being repai...
Page options
tpruitt2230
Community Member

Buying books from Amazon and then being repaid for them along with a pay of $10. Is this ok

A client ask me to buy a book from Amazon and He will repay me once the book is shipped and when it is deliver I will be paid $10 for my service.  Is this a common practice on UPWORK?  Thanks for your help!

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

Well, here's the thing:

This is a "scheme." Not a real job.

The "client" is basically trying to trick you into doing something that will help him, and probably won't help you at all.

Also, this violates Amazon.com ToS.

Which is a problem because Upwork officially states that violating Amazon.com ToS is a violation of Upwork ToS. Think of Amazon.com and Upwork as separate companies which officially are supportive of each other.

Short answer:

This is risky behavior, probably won't lead to earning any money, and you could have your money confiscated or your Upwork profile penalized if you are caught doing this. Furthermore, you could have your Amazon.com account penalized if you are caught doing this.

Now, stepping away from the Amazon.com aspects of this, let's consider another point entirely:

The "client" is asking you to spend your own money upfront, with the "promise" of paying you later. What if he never actually pays you? Then you are left "holding the bag." You didn't earn money. You lost money.

Think about what YOU would do if YOU were hiring a freelancer. If YOU wanted the freelancer to have a book, wouldn't you just send the book to her? Or maybe you would order the book on Amazon.com yourself, with your own money, and have the book shipped to the freelancer. Would YOU ask the freelancer to pay for the book with her own money, or would you send her the book, or at the very least, send her the money up front (via Upwork's expenses or pay bonus tool). You are a professional, ethical person. So you certainly wouldn't ask the freelancer to pay for things without any guarantee that she would actually get paid back later, other than a "promise".

mtngigi
Community Member

Olivia P wrote:

A client ask me to buy a book from Amazon and He will repay me once the book is shipped and when it is deliver I will be paid $10 for my service.  Is this a common practice on UPWORK?  Thanks for your help!

Let's see, $10, minus Upwork's 20% fee, minus the cost of the book and shipping - where does that leave you? Even if this kind of thing was allowed, it's not worth your time or effort. Heed Preston's advice and ask yourself why on earth wouldn't this client buy the book and have it sent to you? You are being targeted because you're new. You should block this "client" and report the job to Upwork.

petra_r
Community Member

Virginia F wrote:

....ask yourself why on earth wouldn't this client buy the book and have it sent to you? You are being targeted because you're new. You should block this "client" and report the job to Upwork.

Because the client wants a review left for the book, so the buyer has to be the person who leaves the review, not the client.  The whole thing is, as Preston pointed out, a violation of Upwork's terms of services and unacceptable on a moral and ethical level as well (leaving paid for reviews)

The book the client is trying to get forbidden feedback for should be reported to Amazon.

Amazon have actually sued over 1000 freelancers from another platform to date.

Just don't go there.

tlbp
Community Member

Report the client. 

I have bought books on Amazon for clients that I have simply factored into the overall fee - whether hourly or fixed. My last client paid me via a bonus. The books have been for research or an essential part of an editing gig.  

mtngigi
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

....ask yourself why on earth wouldn't this client buy the book and have it sent to you? You are being targeted because you're new. You should block this "client" and report the job to Upwork.

Because the client wants a review left for the book, so the buyer has to be the person who leaves the review, not the client.  The whole thing is, as Preston pointed out, a violation of Upwork's terms of services and unacceptable on a moral and ethical level as well (leaving paid for reviews)

The book the client is trying to get forbidden feedback for should be reported to Amazon.

Just don't go there.

I know why - I was asking the OP to ask herself. I appreciate that Amazon is taking action, and that now some reviews have a "verified" stamp on them, though I still take all reviews with a grain of salt.

yitwail
Community Member

Virginia F wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

Just don't go there.

I know why - I was asking the OP to ask herself. I appreciate that Amazon is taking action, and that now some reviews have a "verified" stamp on them, though I still take all reviews with a grain of salt.

This actually happened for a small product I bought on Amazon, which was decent by the way. Included with the product was a coupon, which would entitle me to some freebie if I left a 5 star review for the item I just purchased within 'xx' days. So do take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt.

John K wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

Just don't go there.

This actually happened for a small product I bought on Amazon, which was decent by the way. Included with the product was a coupon, which would entitle me to some freebie if I left a 5 star review for the item I just purchased within 'xx' days. So do take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt.

Yes - I saw that on an item I was looking at ... doesn't make a lot of sense if they're trying to crack down on this practice. I'm not familiar with how the seller side works on Amazon. Do people create their own listings like on ebay, and that's how they get away with that caveat?

yitwail
Community Member

Virginia F wrote:

John K wrote:

Yes - I saw that on an item I was looking at ... doesn't make a lot of sense if they're trying to crack down on this practice. I'm not familiar with how the seller side works on Amazon. Do people create their own listings like on ebay, and that's how they get away with that caveat?

I didn't cash in my coupon, and may not have left any review either, because I sure wouldn't want to lose my amazon customer account just to get a freebie that's probably mediocre.

they offer to re-imburse your paypal for whatever total you send them, so you DO make the full amount offered, and it takes about 30 seconds to complete the work. $10 for 0.5 minutes of work = $1,200/hr but of course only for one item. Of course it violates both amazon and upwork ToS, so if you value your account I would not participate and report the seller.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members