🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » CLIENT IS ASKING FOR A REFUND
Page options
0d4ed13e
Community Member

CLIENT IS ASKING FOR A REFUND

Hi Upwork Community,

I have this recent client and I was hired as a Social Media Manager. Our communication is outside upwork she isnt responsive on upwork. We used Wechat.

My first task for her is her Website. I made a brand board, uploaded her choice of font styles to elementor etc. She told me to stop because she doesn't have blogs yet. 

She told me if I could do her Pinterest Affiliate Marketing Plan. I told her sure. I researched about her niche, her competitors, the keywords for her Pinterest boards to create a Pinterest pin because that was the first thing to do if you're going to make a marketing plan to research relevant topics and to create a topic because her brand isn't established yet. 

She ended my contract and asking for a refund. She even reported me to upwork.

This is her message. 

**Edited for community guidelines**

- She said that I'm ticking time to Login to Pinterest. That's because her Pinterest Business Account is is the one I'm creating boards and pins.

- She said I'm opening messages tru whats app. That's because her Instructions is on whatsapp not on upwork. 

- She said I'm googling Corporations. That's because She needs affiliate links for her Pinterest.

I'm just a new freelancer and this client caused me so much stress. Lesson learned never communicate outside upwork. Help me please and I'm sure she leave me a bad or negative feedback.  I haven't seen her feedback yet because I want to ask here first.

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Samera:
You are talking about a client who is behaving unprofessionally, unethically, and immorally.

I am sorry that you are experiencing such a situation.

To be clear: Clients have 100% freedom to end contracts at any time.

Without restriction. Clients do not need to give a reason.

It is appropriate for clients to end any contract if they don't feel that the freelancer they hired is poviding them with great value.

It is NOT appropriate for a client to let a freelancer continue to work, while the client benefits from that freelancer's labor, and then ask the freelancer to refund money that the freelancer received for that labor.

The work has already been done. The freelancer's time has already been used. How is the freelancer supposed to get her time back? She can't. This is a form of theft. (Speaking generally, and not about any specific situation or client, of course.)

In case it helps, remember this: Just because a client "asks for a refund," it does not necessarily mean that the client will receive a refund.

Was this an hourly or fixed-price contract.

Hi Preston, I am so touched with your reply. This is an hourly rate.I am a newbie actually she is my third client on upwork.My first client gave me 5.0 and my second client gave me 4.7. My only concern for now is what if she left a negative feedback? My future application to other clients could be affected and also my public profile. 

This client caused me so much stress. How could I report back to upwork? There is only bots that couldn't answer my questions. I don't want to give a refund because I worked honestly. 

There is a lot of protection for freelancers working on hourly contracts.

If you followed the rules of Payment Protection, then Upwork simply won't remove your hours. The client will be required to pay. And is a client doesn't pay, such as by providing an invalid credit card, then Upwork will literally pay you out of their own pocket. So you will still be paid.

That is why I always follow the rules for Payment Protection.

re: "This client caused me so much stress. How could I report back to upwork?"

It is not Upwork's intention that you report a client who "caused you stress." However, if you think the client violated actual TOS rules, then you have the option of reporting the client.

re: "There is only bots that couldn't answer my questions."

The chat bot is a toy. Don't use it to try not get answers to real questions. Instead, discuss issues in the Forum, with real people.

re: "I don't want to give a refund because I worked honestly."

Then don't give a refund.

Instead, be polite. Ask simple questions. Listen to what the client has to say. Take plenty of time to think about the client's questions before answering. Sometimes clients simply want to be heard.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Samera,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with your client. Please communicate with the client directly to try and resolve any issues amicably. If you agree to refund the money, you can issue a refund directly from the request in Messages. If you decide not to refund, the client may seek mediation assistance from Upwork. If that happens, the Upwork team will reach out to you directly.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Samera,

If a client insists on communicating outside Upwork, after a contract is in place, of course, I do as they wish.

But if a client refuses to use the Upwork message board, which very rarely happens, I also copy and paste to the project's Upwork message board the most important communications through that outside channel (if it is in written form) or I send to the client via the message board my notes from conversations on that outside channel. This provides a real-time written record for potential review by Upwork, an outside arbitrator, etc. should the need arise.

The client even told me that she will get me out of upwork after 45 days. Is that okay for a client to say that to a new freelancer like me?

Samera H wrote:

The client even told me that she will get me out of upwork after 45 days. Is that okay for a client to say that to a new freelancer like me?

It's obviously not nice, but it is an empty threat. Be firm and don't let this discourage you. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members