🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » CLIENT MAKING CHANGES TO REMAINING MILESTONES
Page options
rene_sila
Community Member

CLIENT MAKING CHANGES TO REMAINING MILESTONES

Hey, 

One of my clients made changes to the remaining milestones. First of all, I am not sure what that means. Could someone kindly explain it to me? I completed the project and delivered on time like a week ago and haven't received my pay. Since last week, everytime i want to add the milestone on my own so that i can at least have some peace of mind, I get a pop up saying that the client is currently making changes to the remaining milestone and will be notified of the change request. 
I am still working on other milestones with the client. He recently added a new milestone on a project I am doing. 

But i would really like to know, how long do such changes take? And how can i know what type of changes the client is making?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
richard_wein
Community Member

Hi Christine. The way it works is that the client activates one milestone at a time. Ideally you should only work on on the active milestone, since that is usually the only one with funds in escrow.  If you work on a milestone before it's been activated you do so entirely at your own risk. Once you've completed work on the active milestone, click on the Submit Work or Request Payment button and wait for the client to release payment for that milestone before starting on the next milestone. The client can take up to 14 days to release payment.

The client cannot change the active milestone,  but they can change future milestones,  so check the terms of each milestone when it's activated,  before you start work on it.  You are not obliged to work on the milestone if it's not acceptable to you. If the client had changed the milestone in a way you don't like,  discuss it with them. 

If you add a new milestone yourself,  you are only proposing the milestone to the client. It doesn't get added unless the client accepts it. The only reason to add a milestone yourself is to save the client the effort of adding it.  I only add a milestone if the client is expecting me to do so.

I hope that helps. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mtngigi
Community Member

Christine W wrote:

Hey, 

One of my clients made changes to the remaining milestones. First of all, I am not sure what that means. Could someone kindly explain it to me? I completed the project and delivered on time like a week ago and haven't received my pay. Since last week, everytime i want to add the milestone on my own so that i can at least have some peace of mind, I get a pop up saying that the client is currently making changes to the remaining milestone and will be notified of the change request. 
I am still working on other milestones with the client. He recently added a new milestone on a project I am doing. 

But i would really like to know, how long do such changes take? And how can i know what type of changes the client is making?

If you completed the project, why are you trying to add milestones? Once a project is done, ideally the client will close the contract. Is the job still open? Does he want you to do more work for him, is that it?

No one can tell you how long a client will take to do something. Why don't you touch base with your client to find out what he has in mind. If he is adding work over and above the agreed upon scope of the project, you really should communicate with him about your concerns.

I have not completed the project. 
I am doing the project in milestones. 
He recently just added a new milestone 

Christine W wrote:

I have not completed the project. 
I am doing the project in milestones. 
He recently just added a new milestone 

You're not required to work on a new milestone that doesn't suit you. But be diplomatic about it. Start a negotiation with the client about the milestone, as one business person to another,  and try to reach an agreement that's acceptable to both of you. 

However if the client has already activated the new milestone I  don't think they can change it. They might have to release a payment of $0 for that milestone and then start the new one that you've agreed on. (When releasing payment they can edit the amount released. I'm not sure whether they can edit it down to $0 or if there's a minimum of $1.) 

JoanneP

Hi Christine,

For fixed-price contracts, clients have the option to request changes before releasing payment. You may want to reach out to your client to discuss further regarding the changes requested. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
richard_wein
Community Member

Hi Christine. The way it works is that the client activates one milestone at a time. Ideally you should only work on on the active milestone, since that is usually the only one with funds in escrow.  If you work on a milestone before it's been activated you do so entirely at your own risk. Once you've completed work on the active milestone, click on the Submit Work or Request Payment button and wait for the client to release payment for that milestone before starting on the next milestone. The client can take up to 14 days to release payment.

The client cannot change the active milestone,  but they can change future milestones,  so check the terms of each milestone when it's activated,  before you start work on it.  You are not obliged to work on the milestone if it's not acceptable to you. If the client had changed the milestone in a way you don't like,  discuss it with them. 

If you add a new milestone yourself,  you are only proposing the milestone to the client. It doesn't get added unless the client accepts it. The only reason to add a milestone yourself is to save the client the effort of adding it.  I only add a milestone if the client is expecting me to do so.

I hope that helps. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members