🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: CLIENT REQUEST 20 FREE LEADS
Page options
prince-mark
Community Member

CLIENT REQUEST 20 FREE LEADS

Hi

I received an invitation for an interview today whereby I submitted a proposal, the client then likes my profile and proposal and would like to move forward, which thus he requested me to send him 20 researched leads as per job specification, as a test.

I declined the offer and feel he is exploiting me or freelancers.

Let's imagine he has 100 proposals and says the same to every client, thus gaining 2000 free leads,

Can clients request freelancers to send them free work as a test, in this case, leads??

Regards

Mark

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "client requests 20 free leads"

LOL.

That's not a real client.

That's just a scammer pretending to be a client.

He has no intention of ever paying you any money, no matter what you do.

Fortunately, you were too smart to fall for that trick.

re: "Can clients request freelancers to send them free work as a test, in this case, leads?"

No.

That is a violation of Upwork ToS.

If you encounter something like this, you should do one of the following:

a) Give the client an opportunity to hire you and pay you. "Franklin: Thank you for the opportunity to provide test leads. According to Upwork ToS, we can't do that for free, but you can set up a test contract. Set up a test contract at my hourly rate. That will not cost you very much money, and you can evaluate my work."

If the client hires you and pays you, that's fine. If the client does NOT hire you and pay you, then report the client for asking for free work

b) Immediately report the client for asking for free work. Use the "Flag as inappropriate" link button available on every job proposal screen.

petra_r
Community Member

Mark P wrote:

Can clients request freelancers to send them free work as a test, in this case, leads??

Asking for free work is a violation of Upwork's terms of servive. Simply flag the job post and choose "client is asking for free work" as the reason for flagging, also report the message by clicking on the cog next to the message and choosing "report"

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members