🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » CLIENT WISHES TO COMMUNICATE ON HANGOUTS
Page options
138e3aa7
Community Member

CLIENT WISHES TO COMMUNICATE ON HANGOUTS

My client wishes to communicate on hangouts because she claims she needs to add more people from her company to the call. She tried to do that on the Upwork call service and it glitched. 

I have made it clear that Upwork policy is strict and that all payments and contracts stay on the platform. In case the calls are recorded- there will be sufficient proof of that.

However, now if I talk to her on hangouts and they do not wish to hire me, it will appear as though I have accepted the job off the platform. How can I best handle this? I don't want to lose my reputation and place on UpWork for one client, but it would also seem unfair to deny the client my services.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Yuvraj N wrote:

My client wishes to communicate on hangouts because she claims she needs to add more people from her company to the call. She tried to do that on the Upwork call service and it glitched. 

I have made it clear that Upwork policy is strict and that all payments and contracts stay on the platform

You can communicate with the client however you like.

I don't believe calls in the Message center are recorded. That would be illegal.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Yuvraj N wrote:

I have made it clear that Upwork policy is strict and that all payments and contracts stay on the platform

You can communicate with the client however you like.

I don't believe calls in the Message center are recorded. That would be illegal.

138e3aa7
Community Member

Hi Petra,

Thanks. That answers the first part of my query. What about the fact that if I do talk to the client on hangouts, and the hiring does not occur. Wouldn't it appear as thought we have taken the work off the platform?

re: "Wouldn't it appear as thought we have taken the work off the platform?"

Not necessarily.

Don't worry about that. Upwork allows communication via off-platform tools. This is normal.

Just be aware that Hangouts interviews are usually associated with scams. It's not always the case—I've had one legitimate interview on Hangouts—but it definitely means you should be alert for any other red flags.

Wes C wrote:

Just be aware that Hangouts interviews are usually associated with scams. It's not always the case—I've had one legitimate interview on Hangouts—but it definitely means you should be alert for any other red flags.

He's relatively safe, the Hangout Scammers generally go after US based freelancers 

Is it accurate that a freelancer can communicate with a client however they like?  The list of freelancer violations on this page: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067618-Freelancer-Violations-and-Account-Holds says all communications have to stay on the platform.  I am curious because I'm getting requests for off-platform communication -- even though I will not let it lead to actually working off-platform, I am wondering if I can communicate off platform, otherwise it appears I have to turn a number of requests down.

Kurt, you are welcome to use any communication method you like. You do NOT need to keep communications on Upwork.

On June 26, 2020, this policy changes.

At that time, you will begin keeping communication on Upwork only. Until a contract is in place, and then any method of communication is allowed.

What you say contradicts Upwork's published policy.  Can you cite the source of your information?  Thanks.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members