Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COVID-19 Stimulus Package

resultsassoc
Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
21 of 30

US citizens and legal residents will receive stimulus checks of about $1,200/adult and $500/child within a month. These will be handled by the Internal Revenue Service. If you are a US citizen or legal resident who has not filed a tax return in the last few years due to disability or student status, or not earning enough to owe any taxes, file one now for 2019. Otherwise you may slip below the radar for the check.

I know of three sites that allow for free filing of electronic returns that are very simple. Two are decent: the one that is intuitive to use and the one that is block solid. Another one is very difficult; it Acts up all the time.

Feel free to delete material you believe promotes a vendor. I did my best.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
22 of 30

Im gettin my NEETbux ooooh yeah bring it on.

bizwriterjohn
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
23 of 30

Good advice.  You missed speaking to the upper limit of income at which payments start to curtail or are not available. 

I believe speaking to this would give hope and pause to Upworkers that they can find ways to earn $75,000 or more, on the platform and off, as need be. 

It shows a potential  career trajectory in real dollar amounts.  It can set internal expectations and know it can be done, should have any of us achieved that.

John.

no1prdiva
Lisa H Member Since: Apr 13, 2018
24 of 30

Upwork's response, FYI:

Hi Lisa, you are correct that Upwork is not your employer and does not pay you. Upwork provides a marketplace for self-employed freelancers to find clients and projects of their choice and on terms agreed to with the client, and then paid by the client through our escrow services. Often, freelancers find it appropriate to put that they are self-employed, but you may want to check in with your own advisors depending on your situation.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
25 of 30

Mods, please sticky this thread so everyone can find it!!

no1prdiva
26 of 30
jasontorpy
Ace Contributor
Jason T Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
27 of 30

we don't 'technically work for them' is no reason not to comment on topics of interest and concern for the entire community. They're advertising 'New US Freelancer Taxes Webinar'. Would be nice if they consolidated and presented some expert SBA advice too. Maybe nobody paid them for the opportunity. I guess I'll suggest a couple of banks jump on here and get some ad bucks for upwork if that's what they need to help us.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
28 of 30

Jason T wrote:

we don't 'technically work for them' is no reason not to comment on topics of interest and concern for the entire community.

"Entire community?" You mean for the community from all the180 countries that make up "the community?"

jasontorpy
Ace Contributor
Jason T Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
29 of 30

absolutely, especially people outside the US who aren't eligible. c'mon. give me a break.

no1prdiva
30 of 30

My state finally opened up the UI site for self-employed people.  I don't have an answer yet on if I will be eligible as an Upworker, but providing an update for those who are still waiting.  For my state, you have to apply for "regular" UI first as part of the process.  You are then auto denied and have to re-apply under the CARES act.  From there, I am waiting.  Will continue to update in case it helps anyone.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS