rolludesig
Member

CaN ANYONE HELP ME ON CLIENTS BUDGET

hi all,

 

it is really confusing for me to see client offering expert level budget but there average pay is below $10 per hour...how do you guys propose on such projects.

 

 

expert level is over $25 per hour if i am right?

27 REPLIES 27
petra_r
Member


@Rahul V wrote:

expert level is over $25 per hour if i am right?


 No it isn't - it is different for every category and even within a category.

 

The client's average hourly rate paid is only relevant of the client's history is relevant to your category.

 

Say you're a programmer and the client has only hired a couple of data entry people previously. Obviously their average hourly rate paid is irrelevant for you because the programmer rates are far higher than the data entry rates.

 

Just bid your price and be done with it.

 

rates data entry.jpgrates mobile development.jpg

ok i see but in design i think expert show as over $25

lysis10
Member

bid = x * y

 

x = number of estimated hours

y = hourly rate

thats fine but confusion arises when average rate of client is below $10 and he is offering expert level price for hourly job.


@Rahul V wrote:

thats fine but confusion arises when average rate of client is below $10 and he is offering expert level price for hourly job.


 what if the client has only been hiring entry level freelancers previously but needs an expert level job done now?

 

You're overthinking this. You can usually tell by looking at the client history if the client is likely to pay your rate or not.


If you have enough Connects, apply anyway. If not, be choosy.

 

yeah it may be the case but elance had a wonderful system where without using connects we could ask questions or queries with the client..cant that be implemented here it will save lot of connects...


@Rahul V wrote:

yeah it may be the case but elance had a wonderful system where without using connects we could ask questions or queries with the client..cant that be implemented here it will save lot of connects...


 when was this? Cuz I know it wasn't around in 2010. 

 

 


@Rahul V wrote:

yeah it may be the case but elance had a wonderful system where without using connects we could ask questions or queries with the client..cant that be implemented here it will save lot of connects...


 It irritated the HELL out of the clients and made it almost impossible for a client to select a suitable applicant because for every application there were a dozen "questions or queries"

 

It was abandoned as unworkable.

lol he saw it mentioned today and was all "SWEEET I got something new to capitalize my whinging." LOLOLOL That system was dead ages ago. I remember one of my elance buddies mentioning it.

i am not talking about sending private messages to the client :(:( 

no petra you are wrong it was very much working till the end...i am not talking about sending private message to the client wich was abandoned..

 

it was you can place your cover letter without putting a bid amount and any connects being charged for that...and you can include your question in that as well. if client was interested he/she replied back as simple as that..


@Rahul V wrote:

no petra you are wrong it was very much working till the end...i am not talking about sending private message to the client wich was abandoned..

 

it was you can place your cover letter without putting a bid amount and any connects being charged for that...and you can include your question in that as well. if client was interested he/she replied back as simple as that..


 If you could do that, why would anyone ever use connects?

 

What would prevent the Elance problem of clients receiving hundreds of junk proposals and simply abandoning the projects (and never posting another one) because there was too much garbage to wade through?

i never saw more than 20-30 proposals on elance for projects you are talking of 100 proposals....and what was wrong with that system atleast we had option to clarify few things before posting a bid amount...and it did work without any issues till the end.

 

if clients likes your proposal obviously you will have to place a bid amount in the end and connects will be charged accordingly..

 

but at upwork some projects seem to be interesting but not clearly described..if a client post he needs few banners to be done how can one clarify how many are required? 


@Rahul V wrote:

i never saw more than 20-30 proposals on elance for projects you are talking of 100 proposals....and what was wrong with that system atleast we had option to clarify few things before posting a bid amount...and it did work without any issues till the end.

 

if clients likes your proposal obviously you will have to place a bid amount in the end and connects will be charged accordingly..

 

but at upwork some projects seem to be interesting but not clearly described..if a client post he needs few banners to be done how can one clarify how many are required? 


 I posted a very small design project on Elance several years ago, and got 70+ proposals in a few hours and well over 200 in a couple of days. I ultimately didn't end up hiring anyone because I opened dozens of proposals and saw mostly junk with a couple of "not quite as bad" options and they just kept coming in faster than I could do even a cursory screening, and not a single proposal that I opened drew my interest. I realized that I was categorizing proposals as "maybe" that I would never have considered but that they were better than the vast majority of really, really bad stuff, so I went elsewhere and never looked back.

 

I'd be pretty surprised if that was just a freak event and I was the only client that ever happened to.


@Rahul V wrote:

no petra you are wrong it was very much working till the end...

it was you can place your cover letter without putting a bid amount and any connects being charged for that...and you can include your question in that as well. if client was interested he/she replied back as simple as that..


 I am not wrong. It was a nightmare for clients because there was so much "noise" it became difficult to find the right candidate.

 

Clients do not have the time to answer dozens of questions.  The whole reason why connects have been limited from the oDesk and the Elance times is because the most common client complaint was that there were too many proosals and questions and nonsense that took their time and a lot of the time they ended up not hiring at all.

 

you are still getting confused with this..the option you are talking about was sending pvt message to clients which i know was discontinued...

 

 

and it allowed sending proposal but you wont be charged connects till you have posted a bid for it..


@Rahul V wrote:

and it allowed sending proposal but you wont be charged connects till you have posted a bid for it..


 I know EXACTLY what you are talking about and it was awful. Clients were bombarded with questions and there was so much "noise" they just lost the will to hire.

 

People need to try and remember that among the many reasons Elance failed and went down are some of the features that seemed like a great idea to some users and which actually actively contributed to the fact the platform no longer exists.

If a potential client's post is unclear and you don't have connects to spare, then that is an indication that the job is not a good fit for you. Choose better job posts to bid and use your connects wisely. Let the bots waste their connects on poor posts. 

 

There are freelancer who have connects to spare each month, and they may decide to use those to ask follow up questions of poor job postings. But if you are using all your connects each month, focus your attention on the jobs most likely to benefit you. Perhaps save 6-8 connects to take a gamble on vague job descriptions. 

 

There are also many different freelancer platforms available. Instead of trying to get one platform to change into another, why not just use the other. Some of them allow questions to be asked. Some of them take a smaller fee. If those are preferable features, then choose those features. I've seen the "allow" question option and it is just a garbage way for freelancers to circumvent using their bid tokens to ask a client for a job. People cheat with impunity and it is annoying. I've seen the lower fee platform deduct its fee before the freelancer ever sees a dime. Not really interested in Upwork making those types of changes to suit a few who want to save their connects. 


@Rahul V wrote:

you are still getting confused with this..the option you are talking about was sending pvt message to clients which i know was discontinued...

 

 

and it allowed sending proposal but you wont be charged connects till you have posted a bid for it..


 I know what you're talking about, because my elance friend told me about it, but I was on Elance in 2010 and it wasn't there, so you're just whining over something that was dead long ago because someone else mentioned it in another thread. lolol You're like a fly to poop when this stuff pops up in here.

no you dont know what i am saying and i dont think you will ever get what i m saying.

I've seen plenty of jobs where the client has selected "expert level," then specifically stated in the posting that he is willing to pay $10 per 1,000 words or $70 for a 10,000 word e-book. The level they choose means absolutely nothing at all. But, as Petra pointed out, the average hourly rate doesn't, either.

 

Take a look and see whether they have hired professionals at a similar level to you in the past and how they've paid on those specific projects.. 

If you are not the same kind of freelancer as has been hired previously by a client then a client's average pay rate probably doesn't matter.

 

I have hired dozens of freelancers. If I want to hire somebody, I hire them at their posted hourly rate.

 

Sometimes that has meant that I have hired freelancers for $3.00 and for $50.00 per hour, for exactly the same job posting.

 

Of course... I don't expect the same quality of work from those people.

tj1972
Member

Where is my post I posted couple hours ago?
Did you delete it?
However I'm getting the notifications about this topic.

Strange ...

tj1972
Member

how do you guys propose on such projects.

-------------------------------------------------------

I don't care what budget client puts in the job description. I apply if I like job, client has good feedback (if already hired someone previously) and some other things.

- If client replies back then we go into details.
- If there is a small budget/hourly rate (inadequate with job description) I directly ask client at the very begining what is his/her real budget for the job (in order not to waste my or clients' time.)
- If it gets to the proposal stage then sending client proposal with my price, scedule, what client will get at that price, etc.
- If client likes it we continue.
- If not, all the best with 10 $/Hour "experts" in the field.

Simple as that. 

 If there is a small budget/hourly rate (inadequate with job description) I directly ask client at the very begining what is his/her real budget for the job (in order not to waste my or clients' time.)

 

 

thats what i want why should connects get wasted when things are not clarified...and if things works we can get to proposal stage what is the problem with that?


@Rahul V wrote:

 If there is a small budget/hourly rate (inadequate with job description) I directly ask client at the very begining what is his/her real budget for the job (in order not to waste my or clients' time.)

 

 


 lol and you complain about not getting gigs

When i say poop like that, I'm just saying it to make myself feel better and don't expect an answer let alone the gig.


@Rahul V wrote:

 If there is a small budget/hourly rate (inadequate with job description) I directly ask client at the very begining what is his/her real budget for the job (in order not to waste my or clients' time.)

 

 

thats what i want why should connects get wasted when things are not clarified...and if things works we can get to proposal stage what is the problem with that?


I really wish you would stop complaining about connects being wasted. It's part of the business of freelancing. What part of this are you never going to grasp? Enough already.