🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Call with client
Page options
uysimty
Community Member

Call with client

Client has ask me to meeting on zoom for interview. I ask them to do via Upwork video instead since it is againt Upwork TOS. 
Client seem to feel like, I am a difficault freelance since he meeting with other developer via zoom. Even so, I manage to get him on Upwork tomorrow. 
Is it only me who doing this? Everyone esle still meeting on zoom or skype?

9 REPLIES 9
hamnahaziz
Community Member

As long as you are conducting all payments through Upwork, I think conducting calls through google hangouts/zoom/skype is fine.

Some of my clients regularly hold video calls on other platforms, but all contracts are held on Upwork.

If this is against Upwork's guidelines, please let me know because I don't want my account to violate them.

Hamnah A wrote:

As long as you are conducting all payments through Upwork, I think conducting calls through google hangouts/zoom/skype is fine.

Not before a contract has been established. This changed on the 26th of last month.

Once a contract has been established, you can communicate however you like.

uysimty
Community Member

But the client just do the interview with other Upwork freelancers on zoom.
How can that possible for them and not possible us?

petra_r
Community Member

Uysim T wrote:

But the client just do the interview with other Upwork freelancers on zoom.
How can that possible for them and not possible us?

It's "possible" for you as well. It's not allowed, that doesn't make it "impossible!"

uysimty
Community Member

Didn't get what you mean

Hi. A client has asked me to join a meeting within Upwork itself. Hope that's the right thing to do, and not a violation of the ToS? Please let me know.

prestonhunter
Community Member

If a client wants to talk to you via Skype or Zoom, all he needs to do is send you a Hire offer, which you accept.

Then he can talk to you as much as he wants, with you under contract and logging time as a consultant. This is very simple.

Or he can talk to you for a few minutes purely for interview purposes using the built-in video-conferencing capability in the Upwork Messages tool.

A contract to hire you for consulting does NOT need to be the same as the contract to do further work.

Preston H wrote:

If a client wants to talk to you via Skype or Zoom, all he needs to do is send you a Hire offer, which you accept.

This terrible suggestion doesn't gain any merit every time it is regurgitated.

I've already seen the first profile-damaging effect of it on someone's profile. 

Preston H wrote:

Um, no - don't do that, especially as a new freelancer. Accepting a contract just for an interview is a sure way to tank your JSS and have poor reviews on your profile. An established freelancer with a solid score might be able to get away with it, but even then I wouldn't recommend it. It's not worth the risk to your profile.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths