Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling all Gurus

Highlighted
Community Guru
Barbara W Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
11 of 23

My two cents (I'm not a medical writer, just a normal, boring article, product description, and cheap e-book writer. And, I've only got about a month and a half on you in terms of experience, so... YMMV):

1) Don't compromise your rates too horribly to land your first job. It's tricky to recover from if you do, take it from my experience. You might have to drop them slightly to start building your work history, but don't sacrifice them completely. If you do lower them, consider discussing with the client after any "initial" work that this was a promotional price and your normal rates are xx. I have yet to actually discuss this one with any clients, but thankfully after I bid far too low on my first project on this platform, the client brought up the idea of a raise after x amount of time. It might happen, it might not - but I am prepared to bring up the question.

2) I'd recommend spreading your proposals out a bit more - just in case everyone were to reply all at once. With your background, it shouldn't take you too long to find your first job - if you're applying to appropriate jobs. Plus spreading them out a little gives you something to do on your "slow" days, and now you've got just a couple of connects that you've got to save for two more weeks. I usually scan through the list every day, save the jobs I think I'm interested in - and then go back at the end of the week and apply to the best ones that are still a good fit for me. I've been on here about a month and a half, and I have two very active contracts, and a few other successfully completed ones.

I'm no guru, by any means - but I've had some wonderful teachers since I've been here.

- Barbara Herrera -
Highlighted
Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
12 of 23

@Barbara W wrote:

My two cents (I'm not a medical writer, just a normal, boring article, product description, and cheap e-book writer. And, I've only got about a month and a half on you in terms of experience, so... YMMV):

---

I do not allow fellow writers to refer to themselves in this way. Now cut it out. Smiley Very Happy 

Highlighted
Community Guru
13 of 23

Hey, all I'm sayin' is I'm a guru in many ways - but Upwork/Freelancing is still not exactly my area of expertise. Lol.

- Barbara Herrera -
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Toyin F Member Since: Oct 10, 2015
14 of 23

Nichola L

Oh absolutely! I would never write papers for a student . Regardless of upwork's rules, as a former teacher, it's against my code of ethics and beliefs. Thank you. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
15 of 23

Barbara W,

Guru or not-your two cents were worth $2! Thank you so much. In regards to number 2, doesn't the "early bird get the worm" in regards to bidding? I get so paranoid about bidding late out of  fear of losing a chance to be picked.

Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 23

@Prestige M wrote:

Barbara W,

[...] In regards to number 2, doesn't the "early bird get the worm" in regards to bidding? I get so paranoid about bidding late out of  fear of losing a chance to be picked.

Well, yes and no. Those clients who prefer a fast responder over a qualified candidate generally aren't the contracts you'll want anyway.

I mean, I wouldn't apply to a job posting that's, say, weeks old... But most "quality" candidates clients (I'm sleepy) seem to wait a few days before making a decision anyway. Some wait even longer. If the person who applied on day 3 is more qualified than the person who applied in the first hour, which would you pick?

- Barbara Herrera -
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
17 of 23

@Barbara W.   Hmmmm.... *Nods head*. #Wisewoman. #Wisewords.

Highlighted
Community Guru
18 of 23

Like I said, your mileage may vary - this is just the system that works for me. (Well, #2 at least; #1 is advice that was given to me that I'm still in the process of slowly implementing. Trust me - starting too low can seem like a mountain climb to get back out of gracefully.)

- Barbara Herrera -
Highlighted
Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
19 of 23

@Prestige M wrote:

Barbara W,

Guru or not-your two cents were worth $2! Thank you so much. In regards to number 2, doesn't the "early bird get the worm" in regards to bidding? I get so paranoid about bidding late out of  fear of losing a chance to be picked.

Yes, but it is also the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Quicker doesn't mean better re: proposals. Smiley Happy  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
20 of 23

Hi Prestige, welcome to Upwork.

It's late so just a few random thoughts:

There's definitely a market for highly qualified niche writers on here. Having said that, I think your price as of now ($66 ph) may be set just a little too high for getting started and estabished. You have to cut it not just as a medic, but as a writer as well, and the two don't necessarily go hand in hand. But yo can build up your price as you get recognition on here.

Your third portfolio item doesn't seem to be written by you - maybe this is a glitch?

Should you apply quickly to jobs? As someone above posted, this can be an issue for the kind of low-quality content-mill jobs, but clients looking for high-end niche products tend to wait longer to gather quality proposals. So within 12 or even 24 hours is good.

Image2.jpg

Re Preston's comments about your thumbnail - it just looks dark on here. I've attached a very quick modification from your tiny thumbnail; I'd be happy to do the same (but better quality) on a larger-size pic if you PM me.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS