🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Calls and meetings
Page options
karinskold
Community Member

Calls and meetings

Hi,

How are you doing with calls and meetings on here?

If the client wants a video meeting before hired..Sending their own scheduled meeting via Google meet-up. And ask you to pick a time.

I am getting so confused with this as I had a few such requirements from clients.

I seldom do video meetings anyway. ( feel so uncomfortable) It seems you need to be an extrovert as well to be a fit.. 😉

It seems one contract I have needs to talk to me before giving me any tasks. Just to know me.

I never do a meeting before hired.

I have found that it is more and more common that clients ask for a video meeting here.

Just curious to hear how you as a freelancer here do.

Thanks, 🙂

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

Karin S wrote:

If the client wants a video meeting before hired..Sending their own scheduled meeting via Google meet-up.

Not allowed. Tell the client that you may only talk via Upwork (which has a call and a zoom function) before a contract is in place.

Until you are hired, you are not allowed to exchange contact details or communicate outside the platform.

Personally, I don't do video calls and only do audio for large contracts.

Thank you, Petra!

It is getting so frustrating to me that clients ask for it. I know now what to say! And can even report if it happens. ( when it happen..)

I thought I was the only one not doing video.....I just hate it. It is something else having to be in picture and look good....:womanfrustrated

Clients are allowed to ask you to do a video call within the Upwork system.  That includes a Zoom call that's initiated from within Upwork Messages. Of course it's up to you whether to accept such a request.

I'm an introvert too.  I find both phone and video calls a bit stressful. But I'm willing to do them if a client requests it.

Thanks for sharing. Being an introvert is sometimes complicated to explain. Especially if the client is very outgoing. And seems to so enjoy video meetings. Looking good and fresh. lol

kinector
Community Member

Karin, before you have a contract in place, you cannot accept any meeting request using another platform.

Unlike you, I ALWAYS do a meeting before getting hired to make sure I know the scope and can deliver whatever the client is asking. And most importantly, to inquire about the things not mentioned in the job post.

I REJECT those who don't want to do a call before getting started as I can't be sure they are who they say they are and that their need is true.

Doing calls with random people every day pretty normal these days, I guess. I'd suggest to get used to it. I did, years ago. You'll live. 😉

Mikko, I think we are different all of us. For some it is easy. And for others, like myself, it is very stressfull. 

Being more of an introvert. It takes so much energy so I don't see its worth it.

I had many great contracts here over the years. Been here since Odesk started. And to be honest I have only done video calls once. And only voice calls very few times. All after being hired.

Hi Mikko,

I just signed up for this platform and I'm trying to figure out if I can make it work without breaking any rules of the TOS. One thing I specialize in is optimizing LinkedIn profiles. To do that well, I interview my clients over Zoom and then go back over the recorded meeting to write their LinkedIn summary. I know there is a Zoom call option on Upwork but no way to record the meeting.

I also ask for a recommendation after the work is completed on LinkedIn. But I can't share any of my social media info with clients here, even after the contract is done, right? I see a lot of requests for help with LinkedIn profiles but I'm not sure if I can make this work for me. Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.  

Michelle:
You do NOT NEED TO USE Upwork to talk with clients,

There are no restrictions on what communication tools you use with clients after you have been hired using an official Upwork contract.

So, yes, you can do the kind of work you described.

You may use your own Zoom account. You may record calls.

nene2021
Community Member

Sure, I am ok with video meet

8d08fa8b
Community Member

IF I accept offer than after i can use google meeting

Hi Dhameliya,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Yes, you can use Google Meet when a contract is already in place. You may check this article to know more information about keeping yourself safe while using Upwork.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members