🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Can Clients Give Negative Feedback For A ...
Page options
firefingers
Community Member

Can Clients Give Negative Feedback For A Canceled Contract?

Hello all,

So I have a contract that just seems to be a waste of my time and energy.

Quick summary:

1. Was contracted to write SMS messages for a marketer.

2. Waited a couple weeks before getting any instructions due to him and his friend travelling

3. Come to find out the job is actually two jobs in one and they were a bit deceitful.

4. They not only want me to write messages but they also want me to write it into code so they can transfer it.

5. They tried to briefly explain all the tags and syntax in the document but it was neither good enough nor written well enough to comprehend. 

I contacted them to tell them I don't understand the coding. I am a writer, not a coder. So far, for the last few days I have heard nothing.

So, I was thinking about just ending the contract so we don't have to further waste each others time. 

My question is:

Can they give me a negative feedback if I close the contract (no work performed and no money transferred)?

Can/does canceling contracts affect your Upwork rating?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
nyrrielatienza
Community Member

Hi Dylan,

I'm sorry to learn about your experience with your client.

We suggest talking to the client about the project. If the contract won't move forward, closing it as soon as possible or asking the client to do so and leave feedback will counter the negative impact on your score. When client feedback is received, even without earnings, it will be factored into your Job Success Score. Both parties have a chance to provide private feedback and if that feedback is positive, the affect of that contract can also be positive.  Best practice though, is to request the client to close the contract as they will be more apt to leave the freelancer feedback. Please see this help article.

Let me know if there's anything else. 

~ Riri
petra_r
Community Member

Dylan M wrote:

My question is:

Can they give me a negative feedback if I close the contract (no work performed and no money transferred)?

Can/does canceling contracts affect your Upwork rating?

Yes. Essentially a contract that ends without anything having (ever) been paid and either poor or no feedback (any feedback on a nothing paid contract would be private only - nothing appears on the public profile) will hit your JSS.

If you want to cancel / close that contract, do it, and see what effect it has on your JSS. You may need to use your top rated perk - provided you haven't used it in the last 3 months and 10 contracts.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Be professional - tell them you now understand there are elements of the job that are outside of the initial project for text only.

Offer to write just the text (as originally agreed) or tell them you will understand if they want to hire another freelancer who can do the entire project, in which case would they please close the contract with you on Upwork's system.

The sooner you tell them your solution to the problem the less likely they will be unhappy you waited so long to tell them. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths