cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Freelancers Indicate a Minimum Rate?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
1 of 8
I should really know this, but I haven't encountered it before.

As a freelancer, can I state that for a project, I require a minimum fee in order to accept the job? (One hour at my rate, for instance?)

Just want to make sure that's not against ToS for whatever reason. Thanks!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Lila G Member Since: Dec 4, 2017
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

Yep all good on Upwork side. That's more of a situation if a client is ok with that.

Lila

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 8

Lila G wrote:

Yep all good on Upwork side. That's more of a situation if a client is ok with that.

Thanks much, Lila.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 8

re: "Can Freelancers Indicate a Minimum Rate"

That's what your posted rate is for.

You really should consider the hourly rate posted on your profile to be your minimum rate.

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 8
Preston: I pretty much never had to consider this as I’ve never taken a job that would be less than one hour’s rate, if that makes sense. This was a very small test project, so just logostically I had to think about it. Smiley Very Happy I agree with your assessment; thank you.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
6 of 8

Preston H wrote:

re: "Can Freelancers Indicate a Minimum Rate"

That's what your posted rate is for.

You really should consider the hourly rate posted on your profile to be your minimum rate.

I don't. My posted rate is a ballpark figure. I charge less per hour on some projects and more on others. I am open to doing a trial contract of 1-2 hours but I generally do not accept jobs that are going to take less than two hours, and I often specify such in proposals. Maybe it loses me work, I dunno. But unless something is dead simple, it's not worth my time to engage with it for less than two hours. (That said, I'm starting to have jobs fall out of my calculation window, so I may change my tune for a while this year, to get some activity churning.)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 8

Phyllis:

Thanks for your great comment, with details about your own practices.

I think that it is great that Upwork allows such flexibility.

You are a great example of a freelancer making rules for themselves about how they work.

For me, personally, I don't change my hourly rate based on projects.

I'm fine accepting a short job. Even a ten-minute job. But obviously that would be for something that doesn't require interview and preparation time.

Sometimes people hire me just for consultation, and the job starts when they start talking to me, and ends when they stop talking to me. So it works out, even for a short period of time.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
8 of 8

There's a complex of issues here.

• You and your client may agree to a minimum billing of one hour.
  • Upwork's payment protection only applies to Tracker hours. If you bill time manually to fill out the hour, and your client acts in bad faith, you have no recourse.
  • As an alternative, you could ask the client to convert the offer to fixed price for your minimum hourly rate, so you have escrow protection for this limited-scope job. Future work on an hourly basis would require a new contract.
  • It's your call which course seems like the least risk and the least hassle for both the client and you.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS